Is it necessary to use a few varieties of chilies in one go?

Bakemehappy

Veteran
Local time
12:47 PM
I am not a fan of chilies but I was requested to prepare a dinner that should have some kick on it. I was thinking maybe I can use chilies for a mild kick. I do not know anything about cooking food a chilies from scratch. I normally buy a bottle of chilies if need be. Do you guys use several varieties in one recipe or is it enough to pick the strongest of them? I had seen people combining then but I am confused if there will be any difference ?

there's a lot of different species of chilies, and their hotness and flavour is very different between them...
my mother grows different species, that I use fresh but eliminating seeds and the internal that is the hottest, because I don't like to eat too hot...
so you must evaluate basing on what do you want to cook
you can also use chili in flakes or in powder
or hot oil simply prepared leaving the pepper in infusion in olive oil for some months...
I also use paprika, that's a powder prepared starting from pepper, and exist both hot or sweet. I love it.
what will you prepare for your dinner? I'll be pleased if I could help :)

If your using dried usually you want to use a variety. Not so if using fresh.

Cheers!

Using a variety is not always necessary, buy a couple of different ones, try a small piece raw, the use the one you prefer.

Chillies can suit a dish some are sweet , degrees of heat are a given , some are great used fresh others pastes or dried , some go well with sweet dishes
Have a look at this web site some great products fresh and dried and they are gong of all chilli knowledge of been there a few times now

If your using dried usually you want to use a variety. Not so if using fresh.

Cheers!
I think I would love to use dried chilies. Would you know if the dried ones are spicier? Another side question is do you guys have an advice on how to dry my own chilies is there a good technique? Do I sun-dry, air-dry or dehydrate them?

I have not finalized the decision on what is the recipe because I am reading some good stuff and tips here and there and I am still trying to figure if I can do all that.

I think I would love to use dried chilies. Would you know if the dried ones are spicier? Another side question is do you guys have an advice on how to dry my own chilies is there a good technique? Do I sun-dry, air-dry or dehydrate them?

I have not finalized the decision on what is the recipe because I am reading some good stuff and tips here and there and I am still trying to figure if I can do all that.
Dried can be as hot but not hotter than fresh. It just depends on the variety. You can dry your own easily, but I would suggest it isn't worth it unless you have a glut of fresh chilli. Very often, recipes call for you to rehydrate them before using!. But dried chilli flakes or powder is very useful to add to dishes. Chilli works well with crab and lobster if you wanted to do a special dinner. On the other hand, a good old curry never fails to please in this neck of the woods.

Last edited:

Dry them in the sun whole or cut them into slices and put them in a dehydrator. If you are looking to reduce spiciness remove the seeds.

When I have a bumper hot chilli harvest I usually spread them out and leave them out to dry in the sun. I like the taste of sundried chillies and often grind and pack them for use. Trust me they last a long time this way and I am never lacking for what to use in the kitchen.

When I have a bumper hot chilli harvest I usually spread them out and leave them out to dry in the sun. I like the taste of sundried chillies and often grind and pack them for use. Trust me they last a long time this way and I am never lacking for what to use in the kitchen.
How long do I have to let them under the sun? I think no one has voted for air drying yet so I might have to choose your suggestion. If I could just ask you how long will the grounded chilies last when packed in a jar?

How long do I have to let them under the sun? I think no one has voted for air drying yet so I might have to choose your suggestion. If I could just ask you how long will the grounded chilies last when packed in a jar?
You'll know when they are done in the sun. They shrivel and become more brittle. Its going to depend on how much sun and how hot the sun is, so no hard and fast rule. They will last for ages and ages in a jar! At least a year.

I see that is good then if they could last longer. We could not have enough of chilies at home as most of my family members love anything spicy and hot. I actually had tried drying them under the sun last week and I agree they got brittle and wrinkly so I am right in assuming that they got the perfect doneness just by looking at their skin.

I see that is good then if they could last longer. We could not have enough of chilies at home as most of my family members love anything spicy and hot. I actually had tried drying them under the sun last week and I agree they got brittle and wrinkly so I am right in assuming that they got the perfect doneness just by looking at their skin.
I'd think so. The drier they are the better. I blitz them in a mini-chopper or sometimes grind by hand in a pestle and mortar. But, if you have a coffee grinder you could try putting a few (chopped up) in and see if they pulverise. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom