Is it possible to boil egg in a microwave oven ?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Appliances, Cookware, Gadgets & Cookbooks' started by cook101, Jun 2, 2018.

1. cook101

cook101 New Member

Hi,
    I have a limited budget at the moment and I can buy a solo microwave oven only.
    I have no absolutely no knowledge of cooking.
    What I want to know is can I boil eggs in a solo microwave oven ?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  2. buckytom

buckytom Senior Member

No. Not in the shell, that is.

But there are devices that can cook a shell-less egg in the nuker.

If you get a small ceramic pot with a vented lid (aka Stone Wave), you can microwave an egg in it with a tsp of water so that it comes out a bit like a poached egg.

3. cook101

cook101 New Member

Thanks for your reply. My next question is can I cook anything in a microwave ? Or is it just for heating food ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2018
  4. medtran49

medtran49 Senior Member

I sometimes rub a small glass pyrex type dish with a bit of butter, break an egg into it, pierce the yolk with a toothpick (it explodes if you don't), cover it loosely with plastic wrap, and microwave for 30-60 seconds depending on how done you want it.

5. cook101

cook101 New Member

Can I use your method with a solo microwave ?

6. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

What is a solo microwave? Do you mean a small microwave?

7. cook101

cook101 New Member

8. morning glory

OK - just a standard microwave then. I understand. There are quite a lot of things you can cook in a microwave and its not just for re-heating. You can cook vegetables, fish etc. Its not so good for meat.

9. morning glory

Yes, you can.

10. cook101

cook101 New Member

@morning glory
    Thanks a lot. I will be purchasing this microwave oven this weekend. Will come back with more questions.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  11. morning glory

Please do! Microwaves are a really great thing - the biggest problem is that timing is critical. Its very easy to overcook things because things cook much faster in a microwave. Let us know how you get on...

12. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

I have a friend who lives 3 hrs away from me. She won't buy a microwave because she says they give out radiation.
    Go figure.

Russ

13. SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn (Site Owner) Staff Member Recipe Challenge Judge

They do. It's how they work.
    But there are loads of different forms of radiation and microwaves emit and use RF radiation (radio frequency radiation) to heat the water molecules in food to make the food hot/cook. RF radiation is at the low end of the spectrum of radiation and is a very low energy form of radiation.
    If you have any concerns about it, then the worst place to stand is directly in front of a microwave peering in through the door!

It was old microwaves that were the problem.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/radiation-exposure/radiofrequency-radiation.html

rascal likes this.
  14. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

I don't stand anywhere near my microwave.

Russ

15. Shermie

Shermie Senior Member

I heard that they can "explode" in the microwave. I never tried it though!! :ohmy: