Is the aubergine the next new superfood?

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
4:44 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
No longer the dark horse of the nightshade family reserved for creative cooks, the voluptuous eggplant (or aubergine as it's also known) is finally entering the spotlight.

1481847468292.jpg

Eggplant: The new super food accessory? Photo: Sam Bailey
Hailed the 'mighty aubergine' by acclaimed chef Yotam Ottolenghi, the delicious ingredient once considered 'poor man's meat' has now become a headline act at restaurants all over the globe.

As a star ingredient in many of his recipes, Ottolenghi's homage to the humble eggplant has revolutionised its status, thanks to his marriage of fresh flavours and Middle Eastern flair.

With dishes such as roasted eggplant paired with pomegranate and saffron yoghurt and black garlic, broad beans and basil, the versatility of eggplant seen in his salads, sides and stews has captured the culinary crowd and helped usher in a resurgence of Middle Eastern food

http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-health/health-food-why-eggplant-is-the-new-superfood-20161209-gt7xob

I have come to rather like aubergines in the last few years and have started using them in a new of recipes including dips and spreads. I rather like the silky texture it brings to the spread but still need to work on the water content.

Ok I don't believe in the concept of superfoods but all the same, it is a very good vegetable and packed full of vitamins and minerals.

I'm not sure how much I like them either but my bf really likes them.
It is interesting reading the article even thought it is based on Australia . I hadn't realised there were that many varieties of aubergine.

They will be the "in" item for a while then like everything else they will just fade away and the press and the "in crowd" will move on - and the rest of us will just keep on eating them just like we did before.

Aubergines are very good in spicy dishes. Their texture makes them very absorbent, so they go well in curries or chillis.
I must try using aubergines more. I have bad memories of greasy things! Do you have recipes?

I liked those greasy aubergines! I make them that way. They are gorgeous. there's an Iranian dish that I get in a tin that is charcoaled aubergines in oil and they are too die for. lovely and oily. I think it is olive oil with some herbs in it. Wonderful on its own straight from the tin.

I'm going to cook aubergines this week as I bought some at the weekend. The plan is to make Baba Ganoush (I've been looking up recipes).

Back
Top Bottom