Is wood the latest low fat superfood?

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
12:16 PM
The Daily Mail reports on a newly developed food additive derived from waste wood, in effect a cellulose extract. The thickening agent, made by a Norwegian company, is called SenseFi, and can be added to a whole range of processed foods from sausages to ice cream as a fat alternative. Allegedly, it provides a rich, creamy effect, just like adding fat, but without any calories.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/f...-substitute-no-calories-trees-added-food.html

Well, why not? seems like a great idea. I've often thought that trees (and their by-products) are under-utilised as a natural resource. I was out on my bike a few months back and noticed that a lot of silver birch trees had been tapped for their sap. It had got me wondering what else we could be exploiting trees for - without damaging them. I try to use everything that my trees provide - from leaves for leaf mould, through to faggots of kindling, to logs for the fire. I let the squirrels have the acorns and the birds get most of the cherries - but otherwise, I take what I can.

We should be looking for new ideas for food additives - the global population is already too large to feed itself using conventional methods.

I use quite a bit of wood, especially fruit and nut wood. They add a great deal of flavor to my "Q" and sausages.

Back
Top Bottom