Is your freezer a graveyard?

Sort of. I bought a 6 drawer upright deep freezer & I try to keep it organised. I just brought home labelling tape from work so the rest of the family know the system.

Frozen veg & ready meals like dumplings
Beef
Chicken
Lamb
Seafood
Pork

I get a bit panicked if we don't have plenty of food here. I try to keep a good stockpile of stuff that is either cooked & just needs heating such as soups & curries or is prepped for cooking such as marinated chicken for BBQ or meatballs etc. I try not to buy stuff & freeze it without any prep - my weeknight cooks need to be about 40 minutes maximum.

I will sometimes buy things while they are really cheap - such as an extra ham at Xmas & freeze it - I have every intention of doing a Xmas in July bash this year so there's a ham in there now.

I was in the supermarket to buy chicken thighs last month at the height of my Korean BBQ mania and the thighs were on for $5kg. I bought 4kg but if I had of had the extra cash I would have bought 10.

I realised while moving stuff around in there today that we have a lot of frozen spinach. LoL.

Once a month or so I will go out there & write a "stocktake" before I start menu planning.

Out there, is the laundry by the way. Our fridge is a side by side with a fairly large freezer in the kitchen. That holds open packets of frozen veg, frozen fruit for smoothies, single serves of home made soups & stuff, bread & random things like instant yeast, baby bottles, vodka, ice, cold packs for lunch boxes & eskies, frozen herbs.

Last edited:
The next whole freezer that I get, I'll keep a list of the items in the computer to better keep control of the inventory.:wink:

My wife is SO efficient - all the boxes/ bags have labels [compared to me who has to keep several spanners of the same size in the garage just to be sure of finding one] but we both decided long ago [soon as we could afford one really] to only use an upright freezer. Anything with a flat lid would end up with 'things' on top of it and end up an unknown lost land that takes half an hour to get into :facepalm:

I have trouble keeping up, we have a fridge freezer in the house, another one in the garage, and 2 large chest freezers in the garage also. I found a half ham last week so we had it Sunday. There's about 6 legs of lamb as well. Beef roasts, seafood, all sorts. Prolly live for a year not buying meat.

Russ

I have trouble keeping up, we have a fridge freezer in the house, another one in the garage, and 2 large chest freezers in the garage also. I found a half ham last week so we had it Sunday. There's about 6 legs of lamb as well. Beef roasts, seafood, all sorts. Prolly live for a year not buying meat.

Russ

Thats on hell of a lot of freezers..... and one hell of a lot of lamb!

Forgetting something in the freezer doesn't have the same consequences as forgetting asparagus in the car, then discovering it a week later!:eek: It took weeks to get rid of that smell.

What Craig didn't mention was that said car was sitting outside in South Florida sunshine and the asparagus had basically liquefied.

Forgetting something in the freezer doesn't have the same consequences as forgetting asparagus in the car, then discovering it a week later!:eek: It took weeks to get rid of that smell.

Must've been really awful!!:headshake::eek:

Thats on hell of a lot of freezers..... and one hell of a lot of lamb!

We eat a lot of lamb here, I bone the legs out and roll them. My kids fave meal is lamb as well. I'm cooking a leg of lamb and a whole chicken over charcoal this weekend. I'll put pics up when I do it. Rotisserie cooked is my daughters fave.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom