It would take a lifetime to visit all the villages ..

Francesca

Local time
5:50 PM
The Extraordinary ..

For many people, the tiny hamlets, villages and tiny towns of Italy are the Italian countryside. And to a large degree this is very true .. The problem, is there are so many amazing tiny towns & villages in Italia that it would take a lifetime to visit each and every one of them ..

No one said, it was going to simple and it wasn´t when I had made my 1st journey to Italy as a child with my parents .. This was a dazzling dynamic voyage of discovery. And yearly, my husband and I explore another región of Italia ..

This was one of our favorite seacoasts in northwestern Italy ..

Monterosso al Mare is a grouping of tiny villages whom adore Genovese Basil Classic Pesto, and these quaint villages, Monterosso, Vernzza, Corniglia, Manarola and Riomaggiore, are a región of 15 - 20 km, along the Ligurian Coast where the mountains almost plunge into the sea .. These are grape producing and relatively unexplored by tourists ..

How many of you have travelled to an enchanting región, (does not have to be restricted to Italy) far flung from the Urban ?

We are planning our January (annual ) trip once again to Italy ..

Uncertain at momento, exactly where however, we have dear Friends in quite a few of the autonomous regions, so we are still researching.

Tell us about one of your favorite rural regions.

I stayed in a very rural part of Greece in the 1960s. I lived in a village called Exohi, which at the time did not even have road access let alone gas, electricity or running water! Unfortunately it is not so rural nowadays, but I do keep in touch with the Greek side of my family and enjoy listening to the stories of how things were in that area.

I also visited a village in Austria where I have friends on several occasions in the early 1960s up to the early 1970s, as well as several other quite rural locations also in the 1960s. I visited Italy too in the 1960s, and although none of these places could actually be described as rural even in those days, they were often not touristy like they are now.

@Elawin

Numerous Mediterraneans have returned to their ancestors´ lands as they could not find suitable Jobs or decided to go into their own businesses (food and / or wines).

Definitely amazingly memorable ..

Thank you for your feedback .. Have a lovely day ..

@MypinchofItaly & @jennyb & @Elawin

Thank you Ladies .. Antoher rural región I highly recommend in Italy is:

One of the highest Tuscan hill hamlets or villages is Montepulciano, which is known for its noble nosed red wines.

Filled with wineries and wine cellars, one can converse at Oinochóe on Via Voltaia nel Corso or Cantina Gattavechi, located next to the Church of Maria Dei Servi. This is a región steeped profoundly in history and once shall encounter squares, shops and the Marzocco Lion, a symbol of Florence´s dominion over the town during the 1500s ..

The bittersweet chocolate Tortino al Cioccolato, a terrine of chocolate, prepared with only eggs, flour, wáter, sugar, butter, bittersweet chocolate and wáter, a flourless chocolate cake with a custard sauce and served with fresh strawberries. It is baked in a loaf pan lined with parchement paper ..

This dessert, we shared was served at Rsitorante La Grotta in Montepuliciano ..

Have a lovely day ..

Last edited:
@MypinchofItaly & @jennyb & @Elawin

Thank you Ladies .. Antoher rural región I highly recommend in Italy is:

One of the highest Tuscan hill hamlets or villages is Montepulciano, which is known for its noble nosed red wines.

Filled with wineries and wine cellars, one can converse at Oinochóe on Via Voltaia nel Corso or Cantina Gattavechi, located next to the Church of Maria Dei Servi. This is a región steeped profoundly in history and once shall encounter squares, shops and the Marzocco Lion, a symbol of Florenence´s dominion over the town during the 1500s ..

The bittersweet chocolate Tortino al Cioccolato, a terrine of chocolate, prepared with only eggs, flour, wáter, sugar, butter, bittersweet chocolate and wáter, a flourless chocolate cake with a custard sauce and served with fresh strawberries. It is baked in a loaf pan lined with parchement paper ..

This dessert, we shared was served at Rsitorante La Grotta in Montepuliciano ..

Have a lovely day ..

I know very well those surroundings and little villages...Toscana is very beautiful and my mother in law was from the Southern Tuscany (Orbetello/Grosseto).
I like a lot you write about my country!
Liguria is another region which I really love, 5 terre are fantastics...and I love Genova particularly..from Saronno/Milano is only 1 hour and half by car, so we often go for the weekend.
But my heart and soul are only for her: Sardegna.

Last edited:
I know very well those surrounding and little village...Toscana is very beautiful and my mother in law was from the Southern Tuscany (Orbetello/Grosseto).
I like a lot you write about my country!
Liguria is another region which I really love, 5 terre are fantastic...and I love Genova particularly..from Saronno/Milano is only 1 hour and half by cad so we often go for the weekend.
But my heart and soul are only for her: Sardegna.

@MypinchofItaly

Ha Ha .. I shall write about Sardegna next !! Highly memorable .. We are very fond of Sardinia ..

GIORGIO150416_556273307736912_1645271786_n SARDINIA GIORGIO.jpg

The Legacies of Sardinia Part 1. Flassio, The Northwest ..

Sardinia is the 2nd largest island in the Mediterranean and home to the monumental port of the island.

The tiny trattorias in the northwest of the island ( in Flassio ) house a restaurant called Da Riccardo, which sits on a narrow alley way like a rose amongst the thorns !

The owner Riccardo Cadoni, greeted us warmly and brought us some wonderful Sardinian wines to taste test and some toasted home made breads with fresh basil and tomatoes & Italian Extra Virgin Olive oil .. Riccardo had told us, that he goes out very very early in the mornings, to buy shellfish and seafood from the tiny boats that arrive .. He mentioned that he goes thousands of miles around the island to source fresh wild fish & fresh wild shellfish for his restaurant.

Appetisers included spider crabs, ocotopus and sea snails which were simply amazingly sensational ..

Signore Cadoni bakes an incredible Carta di Musica ( Sardinian Crisp Bread ) ..

The dessert called a Seadas, a pastry pocket filled with fresh sheep milk cheese and honey ..

Many intriguing flavors and the main course was a Sardinian Lobster and prior to the main course, we had shared Malloreddus,
which is a semolina dumpling concoction with cheese in the pocket and served with a red meat sauce ..

The Legacies of Sardinia Part 1. Flassio, The Northwest ..

Sardinia is the 2nd largest island in the Mediterranean and home to the monumental port of the island.

The tiny trattorias in the northwest of the island ( in Flassio ) house a restaurant called Da Riccardo, which sits on a narrow alley way like a rose amongst the thorns !

The owner Riccardo Cadoni, greeted us warmly and brought us some wonderful Sardinian wines to taste test and some toasted home made breads with fresh basil and tomatoes & Italian Extra Virgin Olive oil .. Riccardo had told us, that he goes out very very early in the mornings, to buy shellfish and seafood from the tiny boats that arrive .. He mentioned that he goes thousands of miles around the island to source fresh wild fish & fresh wild shellfish for his restaurant.

Appetisers included spider crabs, ocotopus and sea snails which were simply amazingly sensational ..

Signore Cadoni bakes an incredible Carta di Musica ( Sardinian Crisp Bread ) ..

The dessert called a Seadas, a pastry pocket filled with fresh sheep milk cheese and honey ..

Many intriguing flavors and the main course was a Sardinian Lobster and prior to the main course, we had shared Malloreddus,
which is a semolina dumpling concoction with cheese in the pocket and served with a red meat sauce ..

I've eaten a lot of seadas prepared by my aunts in Sardegna and so for malloreddus.
The main ingredients/foods in Sardegna is not fish (although is an Isle!) but meat and cheese.

Back
Top Bottom