Recipe Italian (Dairy Free) Milk Pudding

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
8:25 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Finally, here's an Italian Milk Pudding.
I'm making this one dairy free. I'll stick with soya milk and I'll scale back the quantities. I won't get time to try it before the end of the challenge and is not one that's easily made vegan because it contains eggs. Good news for me mind you.

The recipe comes from this site (http://www.italianchips.com/pudding-recipe/) and is apparently a traditional recipe. I have cut back on the sugar. The original recipe called for twice the amount which is quite a bit when you actually think about it. I'll add the * here, if you are fussed about the colour of the pudding, then use refined white sugar, otherwise brown, raw sugar will give more taste. Refined white sugar isn't my thing because it only adds sweetness nothing more.

(Serves 4)

Ingredients
500ml soya milk (unsweetened)
4 eggs
3 tbsp raw sugar (*) and additional sugar to caramelize the mould.
Maple syrup (optional)

Method
  1. Heat the oven to 180C, (375F, gas mark 6)
  2. Ensure you have a bain marie in and up to temperature before you start the dessert.
  3. I'm using individual ceramic ramekins but the original recipe calls for caramelising the dessert's mould, it's up to you! I'm adding a touch of maple syrup to the bottom of each ramekin instead.
  4. Put the soya milk into a pan and warm gently, only like warm though.
  5. Add the sugar and ensure it dissolves completely without further heating the milk.
  6. Break the eggs into a bowl. Carefully and gently mix the eggs with a fork so that the yolks break up a tad but do not beat them, so they are almost combined but not quite.
  7. Add the eggs to the luke warm milk solution, then put the entire mixture through a sieve discarding what doesn't go through.
  8. Now repeat putting the mixture through a seive the or four more times, discarding what doesn't go through each time. If you have a really fine guage seive you can use for the final pass then use that. This is quite a common theme in most milk pudding recipes to give a smooth, clean texture to them.
  9. Now carefully pour the mixture evenly between 4 ramekins and put into the bain marie in the oven. (You want to keep the maple syrup separate from the egg mixture not combine them.)
  10. Cook for around 30 minutes before checking to see if it has set. A knife or toothpick should come out clean from the centre of one of them. If you're using 1 large mould or don't have ramekins, expect the cooking process to take much longer, around an hour or so.
  11. Remove from the oven when the above test is clean and allow to cool completely before serving removed from the ramekin (invert, it should slide out!).
Most photos show this dessert inverted and removed from the ramekins or mould and with the a caramel running down the side. It will be interesting to see if that occurs and how that works using a touch of maple syrup instead.
I'll add my updates and review, plus photos later in the week when I've made it.

Last edited:
Finally, here's an Italian Milk Pudding.
I'm making this one dairy free. I'll stick with soya milk and I'll scale back the quantities. I won't get time to try it before the end of the challenge and is not one that's easily made vegan because it contains eggs. Good news for me mind you.

The recipe comes from this site (http://www.italianchips.com/pudding-recipe/) and is apparently a traditional recipe. I have cut back on the sugar. The original recipe called for twice the amount which is quite a bit when you actually think about it. I'll add the * here, if you are fussed about the colour of the pudding, then use refined white sugar, otherwise brown, raw sugar will give more taste. Refined white sugar isn't my thing because it only adds sweetness nothing more.

(Serves 4)

Ingredients
500ml soya milk (unsweetened)
4 eggs
3 tbsp raw sugar (*) and additional sugar to caramelize the mould.
Maple syrup (optional)

Method
  1. Heat the oven to 180C, (375F, gas mark 6)
  2. Ensure you have a bain marie in and up to temperature before you start the dessert.
  3. I'm using individual ceramic ramekins but the original recipe calls for caramelising the dessert's mould, it's up to you! I'm adding a touch of maple syrup to the bottom of each ramekin instead.
  4. Put the soya milk into a pan and warm gently, only like warm though.
  5. Add the sugar and ensure it dissolves completely without further heating the milk.
  6. Break the eggs into a bowl. Carefully and gently mix the eggs with a fork so that the yolks break up a tad but do not beat them, so they are almost combined but not quite.
  7. Add the eggs to the luke warm milk solution, then put the entire mixture through a sieve discarding what doesn't go through.
  8. Now repeat putting the mixture through a seive the or four more times, discarding what doesn't go through each time. If you have a really fine guage seive you can use for the final pass then use that. This is quite a common theme in most milk pudding recipes to give a smooth, clean texture to them.
  9. Now carefully pour the mixture evenly between 4 ramekins and put into the bain marie in the oven. (You want to keep the maple syrup separate from the egg mixture not combine them.)
  10. Cook for around 30 minutes before checking to see if it has set. A knife or toothpick should come out clean from the centre of one of them. If you're using 1 large mould or don't have ramekins, expect the cooking process to take much longer, around an hour or so.
  11. Remove from the oven when the above test is clean and allow to cool completely before serving removed from the ramekin (invert, it should slide out!).
Most photos show this dessert inverted and removed from the ramekins or mould and with the a caramel running down the side. It will be interesting to see if that occurs and how that works using a touch of maple syrup instead.
I'll add my updates and review, plus photos later in the week when I've made it.

Interesting even if I've never heard about this Italian dessert..at first I thought it was piemontese bonet (without choco) or panna cotta..

Back
Top Bottom