Recipe Jackfruit Soup

fidzmakarim

Über Member
Local time
2:12 AM
Cara-Membuat-Sayur-Lodeh-Nangka-Muda-Sedap.png

Jackfruit is the largest tree-borne fruit in the world. It is also healthy and sustainable vegan meat replacement. This Jackfruit Soup uses few spices to infuse the fruit. The flavor characteristic is mild and warm, which mean it is excellent for winter.

INGREDIENTS
500g green jackfruit
2fl oz coconut milk
1 slice of galangal
3pcs of bay leaves
3pcs of lime leaves
1tbs sugar
1.5tbs salt
1.5lt water
Cooking oil for sautéing

GRINDED SEASONING
6 cloves of garlic
5 cloves of shallot
1 slice of turmeric
1 slice of sand ginger
3 pcs of red chilis (seedless)
3 pcs of candlenuts
1 tsp of coriander

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Drain and rinse all of ingredients.
2. Put jackfruit into water then heat until boiled, then drain and soak into cold water. This process is to get rid of sap which producing bitter flavor and to quicken the cooking process.
3. Sauté grinded seasoning, galangal, bay leaves, and lime leaves until fragrant.
4. Put the sautéing ingredients into pot together with the jackfruit, salt and sugar. Then pour water into the pot.
5. Heat until boiled, then add coconut milk and stir.
6. Taste and if it still tasteless, adjust salt and sugar.

Serve with rice and other side dishes as desired.

Last edited by a moderator:
@fidzmakarim,

Yaka ( in Catalan and Spanish ), Jackfruit, is sold at the Markets in Lisbon, Portugal and it is called " Jaca " in Portuguese.

Very fascinating récipe ..

I have never seen it in Barcelona however, I shall enquire. It is used in curries in Goa, India, which has a Portuguese history.

Thanks for posting .. Welcome to C.B.

Last edited:
What is 'sand ginger'?
I've just spent the last half hour or more looking that one up. It is a form of ginger, in the same family, and like galangal is probably interchangeable with ginger (but without the bitter after taste). I think you are unlikely to find it in the UK unless you can find an Indonesian food shop. I think I stand more chance here, but again, it is more of a Sichuan province of China (dried form only), Malaysian and Indonesian spice that has made its way to the Netherlands but probably no further.

As a spice, lesser galanga is nearly unknown outside the Malesian region (Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia); in Europe, it is available only in the Netherlands, where a large Indonesian community is living
http://gernot-katzers-spice-pages.com/engl/Kaem_gal.html

Its difficult to get jackfruit here (except in tins) so I have never tried it! What is 'sand ginger'?
Thanks for your response, Sand Ginger in Indonesia called "Kencur" it is similar with galangal, but different taste, I found that it is also called Resurrection lily,
I'm afraid that canned Jackfruit is sweet riped Jackfruit which more suitable for dessert.
what you need for this recipe is the young, green, unripe Jackfruit which creamy, starchy and the texture more fibrous, like pulled pork...

Galangal is (almost) ginger - I get it here in Australia as well.. It is very closely related to ginger and for all intents and purposes interchangeable.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galangal)

Candlenut is more interesting. It is a 'spice' and also known as candleberry, Indian walnut, kemiri...
It's poisonous unless cooked first. http://www.mygreenaustralia.com/the-candle-nut-a-versatile-fruit/

I've just spent the last half hour or more looking that one up. It is a form of ginger, in the same family, and like galangal is probably interchangeable with ginger (but without the bitter after taste). I think you are unlikely to find it in the UK unless you can find an Indonesian food shop. I think I stand more chance here, but again, it is more of a Sichuan province of China (dried form only), Malaysian and Indonesian spice that has made its way to the Netherlands but probably no further.

http://gernot-katzers-spice-pages.com/engl/Kaem_gal.html

Thanks for your assistance, really appreciated it :D

@fidzmakarim,

Yaka ( in Catalan and Spanish ), Jackfruit, is sold at the Markets in Lisbon, Portugal and it is called " Jaca " in Portuguese.

Very fascinating récipe ..

I have never seen it in Barcelona however, I shall enquire. It is used in curries in Goa, India, which has a Portuguese history.

Thanks for posting .. Welcome to C.B.
I just search Yaka/Jaca, and Yes, that exactly the Jackfruit,
but you need the young or green one to make this recipe, or curry, or stew even BBQ, :)
the ripe version is delicious, sweet, fibrous and not cooked required

@fidzmakarim

I had taken my Tour Group earlier this morning to the Mercat La Boqueria, in Barcelona, and I spoke with my Fruit Gentlemen, who sells imported, and exotic fruits and vegetables. He told me that he has a Brazilian Importer, and to his knowledge, this is also grown in the Amazon región of Brazil. He shall see what he can do to get me 1 unripe one ..

It is similar in 1 way to the Platano Macho ( Plantain ) verses the Plantano Maduro ( ripe and sweet ). It is the degree of ripeness that changes the form of usage. The unripened as in your récipe, is used in soups and stews and curries .. The sweet is a type of dessert / fruity ..

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom