Recipe Jacob's Gruyere, Jalapeno Shrimp

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
3:17 PM
Jacob is my Niece's husband. He worked as Line Chef at Brennon's in Houston for many years. He also entered local cooking competitions. This was a 1st Prize winner.

Ingredients

1 lb. Jumbo Shrimp - 12 to 16 count - peeled, butterflied, de-veined, tail on
1 slice bacon per shrimp - partially cooked - not crisp - drained *
1 1/4" strip Jalapeno per shrimp
1 1/4" strip Gruyere per shrimp

Method

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or foil
Use a rack in the sheet pan

Place a strip of Jalapeno and a strip of Gruyere in each shrimp.
Wrap in a strip of partially cooked bacon
Place on rack
Back until bacon is crisp and shrimp is just cooked **
Drain on a rack or a crumpled sheet of foil ***

* Bacon should be just short of crisp - pliable enough to wrap around the shrimp. If bacon is not pre cooked the shrimp will over cook.
** Cooking time varies depending on the size of the shrimp and your oven. Do a trial run at 10 minutes.
DO NOT OVER COOK
*** If you drain on paper towels the bacon will be soggy

Nice idea except I would sub Prosciutto or Iberian Acorn Fed Ham and I do not use cheese with shellfish or fish .. It distracts from the salty sea profile of the shellfish and here, in the land of shellfish, we do not add .. I would also use Basque Esplette Red chili peppers verses Jalapeño type ..

Congratulations ..

However, thank you for the idea .. Yes, you are right about the prawns, as they only take 1 minute per side sautéed to 1 and 1 / 2 minutes per side for jumbo size prawns and oven grill same .. So, I would sauté the prosciutto before wrapping around the prawns ..

I would serve these with a Catalan Romesco: hazelnuts, esplette chili pepper, day old baguette grated crumbs, almonds, extra virgin olive oil and tomato dip ..

Cool appetiser or better yet, an aperitif with a glass of Sparkling White wine ..

Last edited:
I never did get the vehement reaction some chefs have when cheese is used with seafood. If the proper cheese is used it is heaven on earth. A favorite dish in my region is crab meat gratin. Shrimp and grits is another hot item. I serve my shrimp with Jalapeno cheese grits - usually Gruyere or Jarlsberg.

Last edited:
I never did get the vehement reaction some chefs have when cheese is used with seafood. If the proper cheese it is heaven on earth. A favorite dish in my region is crab meat gratin. Shrimp and grits is another hot item. I serve my shrimp with Jalapeno cheese grits - usually Gruyere or Jarlsberg.
I've seen this come up from time to time, and I'm surprised that it hasn't spawned a thread...until now. :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom