Jazzing up your Holiday Leftovers - '17

The 24th is always very Mediterranean traditional and believe me, with 7 Fish & Shellfish dishes, there are never any left overs. The raw oysters are slurped down and if there are some prawns left over, we eat them as an aperitif with Sparkling Cava, the next day.

The 25th, my parents and in laws do filet mignon or venison Tartaré .. There is nothing for leftovers .. On occasion they make a roast leg of lamb, or whole roasted "cochinillo " (baby piglet) or roast baby ducklings l´ orange -- but never any leftovers ..

The 31st is always a 3 Course Traditional French Fondue ( cheese course with 7 cheeses and Kirsch Transparent Brandy) and the 2nd is Filet Mignon and the 3rd, Chocolate .. Very rarely are there leftovers ..

The 1st is our travel holidays and we all go our separate ways as we have holidays through January 9th ( next laboral day ) ..

Have a lovely day ..

Last edited:
I'm a bit of a stick in the mid as far as Christmas food is concerned. I prefer traditional Christmas fare., and I tend to freeze most of the meat I have left over as it is. But that's not to say that I don't use it as a base for something entirely different later on. Curries and pies spring to mind immediately. I usually get 4 or 5 different types of cheese and what very little hard cheese there is left over is usually grated over something or other, or used in a sauce.

I love cold meats so left over turkey, ham or whatever is a treat as far as I'm concerned. I love to have cold meats with mustard, pickles and chutneys, salad and chips with cold stuffing on the side. Otherwise I make a turkey curry or a turkey/ham pie.

Oh, yes!!

Leftover turkey, ham, roast beef, duck or whatever from a holiday dinner can go a very long, long, long way!
The possibilities are endless!! :wink:

I'm probably quite traditional in the way that I use up Christmas food. But then it is a traditional meal.

Boxing Day, I usually make a Bubble and Squeak style dish with any left over vegetables and serve it with cold turkey. Fresh gravy if there is none left to reheat but there usually is.

My favourite sandwich of the year is made with cold Christmas dinner leftovers. It is made by spreading cold bread sauce on white bread and filled with turkey, bacon, and homemade stuffing.

I will also make a turkey curry and a turkey in white sauce dish.

Goose pie. Leftover meat from the bird, mix in gravy, top with mashed potato. Simple. Sometimes I spruce up the gravy a bit just for a change. Fry off some button mushrooms, add a splash of brandy, mix in the gravy then finish off with single cream and add in the meat.

Christmas is the only time I 'snack'. I cannot resist leftover pigs in blankets, cold from the fridge. A sliver of cold quiche, a chunk of ham, a sneaky slice of pork pie. The process usually starts well before breakfast!

Back
Top Bottom