Jazzing up your holiday leftovers.

We grew up eating the Swanson Chicken & Beef pot pies. It was quite a treat to us, because our mom didn't make them. She just popped them into the oven, baked them and then she told us to go for ourselves!! :wink:
Don't bother with the Banquet.

They tasted awful.
Doesn't it depend how they are made or what is in them. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding pot pies? I thought they were just pies really - a filling and a topping of pastry. So it could be any filling and any type of pastry. How can they all taste awful unless you dislike anything with pastry?

Doesn't it depend how they are made or what is in them. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding pot pies? I thought they were just pies really - a filling and a topping of pastry. So it could be any filling and any type of pastry. How can they all taste awful unless you dislike anything with pastry?
It wasn't the pastry. Every one I have ever tried had what tasted like vegetables that should not have been put together then cooked for an overly long time and scrap meat that was just thrown in a pot with salt.
Pretty much tasted like all leftovers thrown in a crust and baked.
Sorry but green beans, green peas, corn and carrots and mushy potatoes should not be cooked together.

I see pot pies as the let's hide the cooking errors in a pastry and call it a pie so people will gobble it up.

I will give it they might have improved since I last tried one but the thought of one turns my stomach.

It wasn't the pastry. Every one I have ever tried had what tasted like vegetables that should not have been put together then cooked for an overly long time and scrap meat that was just thrown in a pot with salt.
Pretty much tasted like all leftovers thrown in a crust and baked.
Sorry but green beans, green peas, corn and carrots and mushy potatoes should not be cooked together.

I see pot pies as the let's hide the cooking errors in a pastry and call it a pie so people will gobble it up.

I will give it they might have improved since I last tried one but the thought of one turns my stomach.
I was thinking of home-made not ready-made given the thread. What about a chicken pot pie? Shall I make one for you and see if you like the look of it?! Might take me a few days, but I do have a chicken in the fridge. :happy:

I was thinking of home-made not ready-made given the thread. What about a chicken pot pie? Shall I make one for you and see if you like the look of it?! Might take me a few days, but I do have a chicken in the fridge. :happy:
Unfortunately same theory either way. I have had homemade pot pies that tasted like let's clean out the refrigerator and hopefully not poison the kids. The adults in that group had other food. I felt so sorry for those children. One of them said we have pot pies every day but it is great because it is what mom and dad didn't finish yesterday.
It could be I just knew bad cooks.

But please on the chicken pot pie. I will look it over.

I too make what you call pot pies and it is always from fresh vegetables. sometimes it is shortcrust pastry (Homemade) or other times puff pastry (shop bought). I don't make my own veg stock because there is one I really like and can get here in Australia if I visit the right shop. but if using any other sauce I make my own.

They are not a way of hiding yesterday's leftovers because I don't cook that way. I only ever cook enough veg for that single meal (jacket potatoes are an exception) but I did grow up eating yesterday's left over veg which was invariably overcooked, oversalted and soggy. I learnt to make my own very early on.

I do remember one of my mother's health kicks with relief. the day she decided that we had to stop using salt and start undercooking veg. it was great news for me!

Back
Top Bottom