Jelly/cream rolls

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
3:11 AM
Do you make these? When I learned to make them, we were taught to roll the sponge up while still warm with a clean towel, let it cool, then unroll, fill, roll back up and proceed with your recipe. While watching a baking show this past weekend, 1 of the bakers let it cool flat, then had a bit of trouble getting it to roll up in a nice tight roll without cracking and breaking. What do you do?

P.s., I am planning on finally making a buche de noel with meringue mushrooms and marzipan holly this year for Christmas, which is something I've wanted to do for years.

I'm thinking this is the same as what in the UK is known as a a Swiss roll? A flat cooked sponge filled with jam (and sometimes also cream) and rolled up. Like this:

swiss-roll.jpg

I haven't made one for years! But I do remember the problems of getting it rolled without cracking the sponge.

I don't think I have the right tin which shows how long it must be since I last made one. Now you have me wanting to try to make one again...

The more that I think about this, the more I want to put it on my list of things to bake!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom