Joint of Beef Cooking Times Waaayy Off!

Local time
2:27 PM
Had a joint of beef last night, about 1.250kg. Was reading a Hugh's Meat Book. He said about 15mins per 500g. That seem to short for me. The packet said 1.5-2 HOURS per 500g!! That seem to long so in the end I went for hour per 500g. I ended up cooking it short and turning temp down, just lookign at the outside you could tell it was cooking too long. Meat was nice in the end but too well done for my liking.

If I'd followed the packet it would have been a charred lump!

Should have followed Hugh!

I suppose it depends on how you like your beef cooked, the cut will also have a bearing, as will type of oven. With industry guidlines to make sure you cook meat thourghly retailers will cover themselves.

They certainly had themselves covered! It would have been charred to bits! lol

I always struggled to get a joint of beef just right. My wife's eldest sister who used to be a chef said to cook it long and slow on a low heat, wrapped in foil along with an extra piece of beef fat from the butcher. Take out and unwrap and put back in on a high for a short while to 'crisp' up the outside. Leave to rest once it's done for about 15/20 mins.
So far it's worked just perfectly from a small joint to a really big one.

We cooked Aberdeen Angus rump for Christmas dinner, and I asked the butcher about the cooking time and temperature. He said 50 minutes per kilogram, at 180 degrees C. It turned out exactly right - well done on the ends, but still pink in the middle, which is just how we like it.

We cooked Aberdeen Angus rump for Christmas dinner, and I asked the butcher about the cooking time and temperature. He said 50 minutes per kilogram, at 180 degrees C. It turned out exactly right - well done on the ends, but still pink in the middle, which is just how we like it.
Always good to ask the butcher.

Back
Top Bottom