July 4th

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:07 AM
One for our American friends... do you celebrate Independence Day? What have you got planned and most importantly of course, what is on the menu? :D

A good trick question to bet for a beer in pubs here is " do they have the 4th of July in England"

Of course they do. It's after the 3rd, and before the 5th.

(If they get that wrong, ask about how many months have 28 days in them for another beer.)

We're having some friends over to go down to the lake on our boat, then home to grill, then back to the lake for fireworks after dark.

The menu so far is:

chips (crisps), nuts, and cheeses while I cook

macaroni salad or baked ziti - depends on what my wife makes today
mixed baby greens, baby spinach, cukes, carrots, and tomatoes in an aged balsamic viniagrette

the rest will be grilled grilled:
chicken thighs
London broil (top round steak which is then sliced thinly across the grain and drizzled with clarified garlic butter)
sweet onions
red bell peppers
portobello mushroom caps stuffed with chopped tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella, drizzled with fragrant evoo
Italian dressing marinated large button mushrooms
Corn on the cob

Dessert is being brought by our guests.

Here's a picture of the last portobello caps I grilled. One stuffed with red wine vinegar, dried Greek herbs, goat cheese and evoo, and the other with tomatoes, basil, oregano, mozzarella, and evoo.

0622181800e_HDR.jpg

A good trick question to bet for a beer in pubs here is " do they have the 4th of July in England"

Of course they do. It's after the 3rd, and before the 5th.

(If they get that wrong, ask about how many months have 28 days in them for another beer.)

We're having some friends over to go down to the lake on our boat, then home to grill, then back to the lake for fireworks after dark.

The menu so far is:

chips (crisps), nuts, and cheeses while I cook

macaroni salad or baked ziti - depends on what my wife makes today
mixed baby greens, baby spinach, cukes, carrots, and tomatoes in an aged balsamic viniagrette

the rest will be grilled grilled:
chicken thighs
London broil (top round steak which is then sliced thinly across the grain and drizzled with clarified garlic butter)
sweet onions
red bell peppers
portobello mushroom caps stuffed with chopped tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella, drizzled with fragrant evoo
Italian dressing marinated large button mushrooms
Corn on the cob

Dessert is being brought by our guests.

True, but in 1776, the British knew nothing about ours until August 30th.

I had some vegetarian barbq and some watermelon for lunch. The rind is now out by the compost pile for the wildlife to pick clean. They are supposed to set of the county's fireworks in a hour but it has been raining constant for the last 4 hours and is still raining so not sure how thats gonna go. I am planning on staying home and dry.

I had sweet Italian sausage on the BBQ, chopped green, and yellow peppers, and onions sauteed in a little olive oil, pasta salad, and corn on the cob. For dessert a medium size bowl of ice cream.

Back
Top Bottom