Junk Foods Versus Fast Foods

ReadmeByAmy

Veteran
Local time
8:31 AM
Are you a lover of eating junk foods and fast foods? How do this kind of foods differ from each other? Do you eat this kind of foods regularly?

I do eat junk food and fast food on occasion but not all that often. It is so bad for you so I try to stay away from it. Even though some would consider fast food junk food, I think of junk food as potato chips, candy, chocolate, bars, etc. and of course fast food is burger and fries, etc.

If L_B is using the right definition, then I TRY to stay away from both. I beg my son to stay away from Kentucky and Burger King and those fries. Yet if he buys them I have to fight not to pick and pick at them. If I see cheese sticks and I actually buy them, I could eat non stop so I just try to stay as far away as possible. When these things come looking for me it's sadly not a story that has a good ending.

Last edited:
Are you a lover of eating junk foods and fast foods? How do this kind of foods differ from each other? Do you eat this kind of foods regularly?
I suppose I would hope that most people on the forum (which is, after all a cooking forum) wouldn't be much interested in fast food and junk food and certainly not 'lovers' of such food. But I understand there are occasions when a bit of rubbish food is fun. I'll eat a packet of crisps now and then (chips in US) and the occasional bag of chips (fries in US). In the UK the ultimate fast food is Fish and Chips. The origins of the dish are disputed. Some credit a northern entrepreneur called John Lees. As early as 1863, it is believed he was selling fish and chips out of a wooden hut at Mossley market in industrial Lancashire. Others claim the first combined fish 'n' chip shop was actually opened by a Jewish immigrant, Joseph Malin, within the sound of Bow Bells in East London around 1860. Italian immigrants in the late 19th century saw a business opportunity and set up shops in throughout the UK. And it is still going strong!

It is fish deep fried in batter and served with chips (fries). Its pretty calorific but not too bad for you. Its fresh fish, after all! And a good fresh piece of fish deep fried in bubbly batter accompanied by fat chips (fries), crispy on the outside, soft in the middle and splashed with malt vinegar is a gourmet treat in my book!

3369563357.jpg

Honestly this is one of the things I love most about Japan. Their "fast food" isn't junk food. Yes, there's still McDonalds and KFC here, for instance - but you have Japanese chains like Yoshinoya, Sukiya, and Coco's, that serve things like meat and rice bowls, salmon (yep, you can order salmon at a fast food joint), and Japanese style curry. One thing that also is a "fast food" here is sushi go round places - quick and popular, although I don't care for sushi so I don't really eat there - I do take friends and family there though when they visit because it's such a novelty!

I always thought junk food and fast food were the same! Though they are unhealthy but I do indulge in them time to time. I am a big foodie and love eating pizzas, burgers etc. Indian fast food is a bit healthier if we exclude the deep fried stuff like samosas, tikkis, chaat-papdi and stick to healthier ones like bhelpuri, poha etc.

I used to eat fast food about once a week just to take a break from the kitchen. However, I have not had fast food in about a month or so. Where fast food and junk food are concerned, I would not put them all under the same umbrella. Some fast food can be quite nutritious. For instance, I can go to a fast food outlet and get a nice fish sandwich or a chicken breast sandwich. Veggie burgers are also a favourite of mine. On the other hand, I would classify french fries as junk food since I do not consider them to be a very healthy meal. Having said that, I do eat them on occasion but I try not to buy them too often.

Honestly this is one of the things I love most about Japan. Their "fast food" isn't junk food. Yes, there's still McDonalds and KFC here, for instance - but you have Japanese chains like Yoshinoya, Sukiya, and Coco's, that serve things like meat and rice bowls, salmon (yep, you can order salmon at a fast food joint), and Japanese style curry. One thing that also is a "fast food" here is sushi go round places - quick and popular, although I don't care for sushi so I don't really eat there - I do take friends and family there though when they visit because it's such a novelty!
Yes...of course fast food can be gourmet food. Depends on the definition. But I know that in Japan the fast food is very good. I lived in Egypt (long ago) and there were street vendors selling langoustines hot from the grill...very fast food and not an additive in sight.

I always thought junk food and fast food were the same! Though they are unhealthy but I do indulge in them time to time. I am a big foodie and love eating pizzas, burgers etc. Indian fast food is a bit healthier if we exclude the deep fried stuff like samosas, tikkis, chaat-papdi and stick to healthier ones like bhelpuri, poha etc.
Tell us about bhelpuri and poha. I'm sure a lot of people here won't know what they are.

I still cannot come to terms why the so called junk foods are being sold. What I mean is it those junk foods are really junk and not good for our body then why do they sell it? We have lots of fastfoods and I think they are now controlling our diet particularly those busy people who have no more time to cook. I admit that we also order for delivery from some nearby fastfood outlets when our schedule is very tight. And in fairness to junk food and fast foods, they taste deliciously good.

Many things are not good for us and we are all slowly heading towards the grave so why not enjoy a little from 'the dark side' occasionally ? Life is WAY too short to worry about every bit of food we eat
Just a point - a lot of the 'healthy' Japanese food actually contains a lot of additives [colourants are a favourite] and aren’t as good as they seem.

Back
Top Bottom