Recipe Kale Parsley Pesto

Frizz1974

Veteran
Local time
12:03 PM
I started making this to use up the huge amounts of kale & parsley from my garden in the summer of 2015 - I went looking on the internet and found inspiration but this is my own version.

2 cups kale (stay with me, its good I promise)
2 cups parsley
1/2 cup oil - any you like
Juice & zest of one big fat lemon or even 2 if you love lemon
1/2 cup of whole roasted almonds
1 teaspoon salt - or to taste
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup grated cheese - optional - Parmesan or any hard cheese you like such as pecorino

Blend in a food processor. I usually blend the garlic & kale for a minute, add the parsley, blend for 1 minute, then add everything else except the cheese. I usually add the cheese last & only blend enough to combine.

Simple. & it doesn't oxidise like basil pesto does so it really is worth making in a large batch. If you wanted it to have a longer life in the fridge you could use garlic powder.

It is amazing with eggs, just slather it on toast & top with eggs. Its good on top of anything that needs a boost - you could use it instead of gremolata on top of osso bucco.

I like the sound of this. As it happens my friend has just given me a load of kale from his allotment. Also some large squash but that is another problem. I am thinking to make the pesto and make a pasta dish.

Did you make it?

I should have reported back. :) Yes I did. I used pine nuts not almonds because that is what I had to hand. It is a surprising recipe as I was half thinking it would be a bit coarse in texture because I associate kale with coarse! But it was very smooth and almost velvety. We ate it with wholewheat pasta. I had quite a lot left and I have frozen for future use. Thanks for the recipe.

Back
Top Bottom