Keeping celery fresh

Local time
8:41 AM
Whenever I buy celery, I try not to buy a large amount at any one time since I have had the experience of it spoiling rather quickly if it is not used up in a few days. Recently I have read that wrapping celery in foil paper extends its shelf life and helps it to stay fresh for a longer time. Has anyone else ever heard of this before? If in fact the aluminium does keep the celery fresh for a longer period of time, I would now be able to buy more at one time since I use it often in many dishes.

However, I am also aware that wrapping anything in aluminium can have some harmful effects and therefore I prefer to wrap the item with grease paper first, and then use the foil. I don't know how this would work with keeping the celery fresh.

This is a great idea. I never would have thought of rolling into foil to keep in fresh. I only usually buy a small amount too because I never get to use it all up before it goes bad. I will have to remember this one.

I'm curious as to how it is spoiling? Is it going limp, moldy or something else? Is it is just going lump, have you thought about keeping celery in water? It is just like anything else that grows and celery is mainly water afterall. Cutting the root off and putting the stems into water (just like flowers) will help to keep it fresher. Also keeping it cold in the fridge works really well. Combining the two is excellent for keeping celery fresh. But usually I just unwrap my celery from the plastic is always seems to come in and put in side down in the salad drawer in the fridge and it will last about 2 weeks. I just pull off the stems as I need them, about 2 a day.

Yup, I just do the water storage for celery myself and I've found that has yielded pretty good results for me before. If it does start getting super limp and lifeless I just add it to something where texture isn't really that much of a big deal like soups or stir fry dishes.

I've stuck it in the fridge and had to it go bad on me on more than one occasion but that's usually after having it for too long. I goes soggy. My plan is to use it all up quickly but I never thought about the foil or water.

I think I will try both the foil wrap and water and see which works better for me. I may try the foil first. Parts of my celery tend to get brown in certain parts and then go limp and I end up throwing away those parts and try to use up what is still firm and can be used.

I agree with @SatNavSaysStraightOn. Usually the fridge will keep it fairly crisp for up to two weeks. Otherwise, stand it in cold water, like flowers as @SatNavSaysStraightOn also mentions. If it does go soft, you can always crisp it up by putting in ice cold water for 1/2 an hour. This works for lettuce too.

This is great advice. I never knew them before. I will definitely be using this method to crisp my celery and lettuce.
I usually just ended up throwing it out but this is a great way to bring it back to life! :)

Before the celery gets to wilt, I will cut them into pieces and quickly wash them. I will then put them in a clean container and chill them inside the fridge. I usually remove the leaves because they tend to wilt faster.

We wrap vegetables in old newspaper before storing in the vegetable section of the fridge. The newspaper keeps the moisture inside the vegetables since the air of the fridge is dry and tends to wilt the vegetable. We also do that to cucumbers, leeks and any other vegetables except tomatoes and lemon which should be in the open. But the celery will last in the fridge for 3 days only and will naturally wither with yellowish leaves after that period. Maybe if the celery has roots, it will last longer.

Back
Top Bottom