Recipe Khoresh ghormeh sabzi recipe easy

meals cook

Local time
5:57 PM
Website
mealscook.com
If you ask any Iranian to tell him about his top 5 and favorite dishes, one of them must be khoresh ghormeh sabzi. The color and taste and the aroma of fried vegetables are excellent and delicious.Oh, Khoresh Ghormeh Sabzi – just saying the name of this Persian stew makes my kitchen smell like a fragrant herb garden. It's not just a dish; it's a rite of passage for anyone who dares to explore Persian cuisine.

20230129_150214.jpg

1. Introduction to Ghormeh Sabzi

The first time I encountered Ghormeh Sabzi, I was welcomed by an aromatic symphony of herbs and spices, simmering away, whispering tales of ancient Persia. This dish isn't merely food; it’s history served on a plate.

2. The Essence of Ghormeh Sabzi

2.1. Key Ingredients and Their Roles A medley of parsley, cilantro, chives, and fenugreek leaves are the heart and soul of this dish. They are meticulously prepped, sautéed, and then stewed with kidney beans, lamb, dried limes, and a myriad of spices.

2.2. Regional VariationsEvery family, every city has its rendition. Some add turmeric, others a hint of saffron. The constant? The generous amount of greens making up this stew.

Ghormeh Sabzi Recipe​

Ingredients:
ghormeh-sabzi-ingredients.jpg

• 500g stewing lamb or beef, cut into cubes
  • 4 cups of fresh parsley, finely chopped
  • 2 cups of fresh coriander (cilantro), finely chopped
  • 1 cup of leeks or green onions, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup of dried fenugreek leaves or 2 cups of fresh fenugreek, finely chopped
  • 1 can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 4-5 dried Persian limes (Limoo Amani) or 1 lemon's juice
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • Salt and black pepper to taste
  • Vegetable oil
  • Water
  • Optional: a pinch of saffron for added flavor and color
Instructions:

1. Prep the Herbs:
    • In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium heat.
    • Add the chopped parsley, coriander, leeks, and fenugreek leaves to the skillet.
    • Sauté the herbs until they are significantly reduced in size and have darkened to a deep green color. This may take about 15-20 minutes. Set aside.
  2. Brown the Meat:
    • In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons of oil.
    • Add the diced onions and sauté until they start to turn golden.
    • Add the minced garlic and turmeric, sautéing for another minute until fragrant.
    • Increase the heat to medium-high and add the lamb or beef cubes, browning them on all sides. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. Combine and Simmer:
    • To the pot with the browned meat, add the sautéed herbs and enough water to cover everything by an inch.
    • Pierce the dried limes with a fork and add them to the pot. If using lemon juice, wait to add it until the end of cooking.
    • Bring to a boil, then redu
      ghormeh-sabz-step-by-stepi.jpg
      ce the heat to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 1 hour, checking occasionally to ensure the meat is tender and the stew doesn’t dry out. Add more water if necessary.

4. Add Beans and Final Seasoning:
    • Add the kidney beans to the stew and continue to simmer for another 30 minutes. If using saffron, dissolve it in 2 tablespoons of hot water and add it to the stew now.
    • Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more salt, pepper, or lemon juice as needed.
  5. Serve:
    • Once the meat is tender and the flavors have melded together, remove the pot from the heat.
    • Serve hot with a side of steamed basmati rice, garnished with fresh herbs if desired.

3. Step-by-Step Cooking Guide

20230129_150332.jpg
nely 3.1. Preparing the HerbsWash, fi chop, and sauté the herbs until they darken and the aroma fills your kitchen.

3.2. The Slow Cooking ProcessThis stew is a test of patience. With each hour, the flavors deepen, the meat tenderizes, and the herbs transform into a thick, savory sauce.

4. Nutritional Value

4.1. Health Benefits of the HerbsRich in vitamins and antioxidants, the herbs in Ghormeh Sabzi are as beneficial as they are flavorful.

4.2. Dietary ConsiderationsGhormeh Sabzi, rich in protein and fiber, is surprisingly aligned with many dietary regimens, encompassing keto to paleo.

5. Serving and Presentation Tips

5.1. Traditional vs. Modern PlatingServe it over a bed of fluffy basmati rice, and watch the colors contrast. Or get creative and modernize the presentation, aligning it with today's plating aesthetics.

5.2. AccompanimentsA side of mast-o-khiar (cucumber yogurt) or a crisp Shirazi salad complements the herbaceous nature of Ghormeh Sabzi.

6. Conclusion

As the stew simmers and the kitchen warms with its earthy fragrance, one can't help but feel connected to the centuries of tradition that Ghormeh Sabzi represents.

7. FAQs

1. Can I use beef instead of lamb in Ghormeh Sabzi?
    • Absolutely. The stew will still embrace the essence of its herbs and spices.
  2. Is it possible to make a vegetarian Ghormeh Sabzi?
    • Yes, omit the meat and add more beans or introduce mushrooms for a hearty texture.
  3. How do you achieve the deep green color in the stew?
    • The key is to sauté the herbs until they darken before stewing them.
  4. Can I freeze Ghormeh Sabzi?
    • Indeed, it freezes well, allowing you to save some for a rainy day.
  5. Why are dried limes used in the dish?
    • They add a distinct tanginess that can't be replicated with fresh limes.
  6. How can I prevent the stew from becoming too bitter?
    • Avoid overcooking the herbs and ensure the fenugreek leaves are used sparingly.
  7. **What's the best way to serve Ghormeh Sabzi to guests

Last edited:
Wonderful!
I cook a lot of Indian food and Sabzi Masala is, basically, vegetables with a spiced sauce.
When the Mughlai invaded India, many centuries ago, they brought lots of their cuisine with them, and rather than imposing it, the cuisine blended in with traditional Hindi cuisine. Many of the flavourings and things like dried fruits, cream, yoghurt are essential elements these days.
PS: I'm growing fenugreek leaves in my kitchen garden at the moment. Your comment is spot on: just a little!

Wonderful!
I cook a lot of Indian food and Sabzi Masala is, basically, vegetables with a spiced sauce.
When the Mughlai invaded India, many centuries ago, they brought lots of their cuisine with them, and rather than imposing it, the cuisine blended in with traditional Hindi cuisine. Many of the flavourings and things like dried fruits, cream, yoghurt are essential elements these days.
PS: I'm growing fenugreek leaves in my kitchen garden at the moment. Your comment is spot on: just a little!
Thank you for your beautiful comment, yes, Indian food is always accompanied by spicy spices, but Iranian food has different but fragrant spices.
The composition of Qorme Sabzi is as follows:
Leek
Parsley
Coriander greens
Spinach or beetroot (or both)
turn green
fenugreek vegetable
green garlic

Back
Top Bottom