Kid-safe chopping tools? Maybe with plastic blades or something?

As mentioned in a couple of replies, I wouldn't get special children's knife or safety knife, just teach them to use & handle sharp knives correctly from the start. But get them some knives that are small enough for them to use properly - no 10" chef's knives!
And get them their own set, just 2 or 3 to start with, so they develop the care & interest & responsibility that comes with ownership

My Dad was a carpenter; I grew up with saws, chisels & sharp things. Then I studied biology and ha a dissecting kit including scalpels; I'd joined the Scouts, and we were taught to use & handle knives & axes correctly; my hobby is making model panes, so I've always used sharp craft knives. Over the years I've had minor nicks & cuts, but nothing serious

Eventually I became a chef, and never had any accidents with ordinary cook's knives, but the most serious incident was when I used a safety mandolin - never again!

I've just remembered this

When I started at catering college years ago, the first day was devoted to equipment & safety, with a lot of the time spent on using & sharpening knives. The lecturer said

A sharp knife will go where you want it to go; a blunt knife will go where it wants to go

So perhaps also get your children a small steel. Shop around, I think you can get 8"/20 cm ones.
But definitely don't get one of those automatic or bench - mounted sharpeners. They're dreadful things, and will destroy the edge.

www.knivesandtools.co.uk have 3 or 4 reasonably priced steels in the range 7"/18cmm to 9"/23cm; and good makes too - Henkels & Wusthof

Last edited:
I've just remembered this

When I started at catering college years ago, the first day was devoted to equipment & safety, with a lot of the time spent on using & sharpening knives. The lecturer said

A sharp knife will go where you want it to go; a blunt knife will go where it wants to go

So perhaps also get your children a small steel. Shop around, I think you can get 8"/20 cm ones.
But definitely don't get one of those automatic or bench - mounted sharpeners. They're dreadful things, and will destroy the edge.

www.knivesandtools.co.uk have 3 or 4 reasonably priced steels in the range 7"/18cmm to 9"/23cm; and good makes too - Henkels & Wusthof

Its very true that a blunt knife is a dangerous knife!

I seem to be getting accident-prone lately and have already cut myself a few times this year, usually with my very sharp "psycho" knives, but never as badly as once about 15 years ago when I ended up in A&E. I always try to remember when my late sister cut herself chopping veg and ended up in hospital. Her husband took her there while her children (aged 12, 10 and 8) finished cooking the Sunday dinner without any accidents.

I've used a felling axe to cut carrots, parsnips and spuds(for chips) with no injuries.

This was more to show what could be done than anything else. Sharpened and cleaned before use, but it did look out of place/odd on camp.

There's a 60 year old meat cleaver somewhere I could use.

I've used a felling axe to cut carrots, parsnips and spuds(for chips) with no injuries.

This was more to show what could be done than anything else. Sharpened and cleaned before use, but it did look out of place/odd on camp.

There's a 60 year old meat cleaver somewhere I could use.
My old meat cleaver died, so I've recently treated myself to a new one. I have yet to use it. Be very afraid :roflmao:

Back
Top Bottom