• Calories

Results are only viewable after voting.

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
5:44 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
So I have changed countries for a few years and the latest and most obvious change has been the change in food.... and looking at what is and isn't available and trying hard to find a sensible sized supermarket in walking distance (either on crutches or being pushed in the wheelchair) has been a huge challenge.

And then there is this challenge.

DSC_1391.JPG

What's missing?

So do you work in kJ or Kcalories? (you actually work in kilocalories but say calories!)

Its confusing and in the UK, both are usually stated on packets. As I expect you know
1 Calorie = 4.18 kilojoules Or 1 kilojoule = 0.24 Calories (about ¼)

So to convert kilojoules to calories, divide the number of kilojoules by 4. It won't be exact, but will err on the side of caution! So, in the example above its 71 Kcals. Quite an easy sum to do in your head. The real amount is slightly less than 71kcals (67.9 Kcals)

Personally, I think its easier to think in Kcals because of the 2000 per day average for normal woman or 1000 to 1500 to lose weight. Nice round, easy to remember figures! In fully metric countries such as Australia and South Africa the recommended intake for and average woman is 8700 kJ . Not so easy to remember and larger numbers to add up!

Last edited:
Oh wow, I think I would just not even bother unless the number in KJ just looked absolutely huge. There is not way I could spend the time trying to figure out all that math.

Let the smartphones help out!
"MyFitnessPal is a comprehensive and detailed calorie counter app for Android. The app combines all the essential features found in the previous apps and refines them into a product which is well worth your time. From graphs to food details, the app has you covered on almost every aspect of diet. The app boasts more than 2,000,000 foods and the database is growing daily. It also features the easier and most convenient data entry system. You can sync the app with other devices so that you can keep track of your progress no matter where you are.
Features:

• Comprehensive feature set allows you to create custom foods.
  • A barcode scanner is included.
  • Tracks all main nutrients, fats, proteins, carbs, fibers, sugars and calories.
  • Saving and reusing entire meals again.
  • Easy food entry.
Notable Feature:
You can make your own recipes and the app will calculate the amount of calories you will be in taking. This makes virtually every meal calculable."

Yep, problem with the bar code scanner is even in the UK half the time the stuff I ate wasn't in it or had been set to the wrong thing or nutritional content was so far wrong it was daft. Plus most of what I eat is homemade and by the time I've finished scanning Asian products bought in Australia I think in going to go mad!

And that notable feature is only as good as the entries people make, so scan the bar code for red lentils of an Asian origin and get tired kidney beans and you just want to give up.

Sorry rant over, I've been using myfitnesspal since the beginning of the year and it has some serious short comings. If you eat out of prepackaged prepared supermarket food for every meal, every day it may work better than for someone like me who makes even my own bread and cheese from scratch. Plus my bungit recipes have to be adapted each and every time I make them because they change! My list of recipes for personal use goes on and on and on...

Yep, problem with the bar code scanner is even in the UK half the time the stuff I ate wasn't in it or had been set to the wrong thing or nutritional content was so far wrong it was daft. Plus most of what I eat is homemade and by the time I've finished scanning Asian products bought in Australia I think in going to go mad!

And that notable feature is only as good as the entries people make, so scan the bar code for red lentils of an Asian origin and get tired kidney beans and you just want to give up.

Sorry rant over, I've been using myfitnesspal since the beginning of the year and it has some serious short comings. If you eat out of prepackaged prepared supermarket food for every meal, every day it may work better than for someone like me who makes even my own bread and cheese from scratch. Plus my bungit recipes have to be adapted each and every time I make them because they change! My list of recipes for personal use goes on and on and on...
Worth a try if nowt else. Been told you could scan individual items as opposed to just "ready meals".

Any QR Codes down there?

Back
Top Bottom