Knife Skills. How much do you know?

Your serrated bread knife looks like something that we call a spoon in America.

:wink:

My wife almost threw away that bread knife a while ago. I caught her and explained that I couldn't cook without it. I would gladly buy a couple of new ones but I can't find them up here - in fact I haven't a clue where I bought that one.

I've learned from professional chefs that there are three things to do that will make it so you don't cut yourself:

1) Pinch the sides of the knife just behind the blade. For the longest time, I used the middle method. The problem? That finger can slip down either side of the knife, putting your finger in the path of the blade.

image-13.jpg

2) Curl your fingers away from where the blade is cutting. This might feel strange, since it's hard to get a grip on the food, but it will guarantee that your fingertips stay on the tips of your finger:

20100527-KS-How%20to%20hold%20a%20knife%20-%205.jpg

3) Cut in a rocking motion AWAY FROM YOU. This is hard to explain, and I couldn't find a still image that really demonstrates what I mean. Basically, I start with the blade up at about a 45 degree angle, then - as I bring the knife down - slide it forward slightly until it's level with the cutting board. Then, repeat a thousand or so times as needed to cut what you need.

I've gotten to where I can just about chop things so that it sounds like a woodpecker is tapping away on my cutting board. It isn't practical for most things, but I do still try it when I want to dice something. Most of the time, the blade isn't sharp enough to cut through this way. so I don't do this often.

I've learned from professional chefs that there are three things to do that will make it so you don't cut yourself:

1) Pinch the sides of the knife just behind the blade. For the longest time, I used the middle method. The problem? That finger can slip down either side of the knife, putting your finger in the path of the blade.

image-13.jpg

2) Curl your fingers away from where the blade is cutting. This might feel strange, since it's hard to get a grip on the food, but it will guarantee that your fingertips stay on the tips of your finger:

3) Cut in a rocking motion AWAY FROM YOU. This is hard to explain, and I couldn't find a still image that really demonstrates what I mean. Basically, I start with the blade up at about a 45 degree angle, then - as I bring the knife down - slide it forward slightly until it's level with the cutting board. Then, repeat a thousand or so times as needed to cut what you need.

I've gotten to where I can just about chop things so that it sounds like a woodpecker is tapping away on my cutting board. It isn't practical for most things, but I do still try it when I want to dice something. Most of the time, the blade isn't sharp enough to cut through this way. so I don't do this often.

A good explanation. I can get close to the woodpecker - but not quite!

Having sharp knife will also help prevent knife slippage and injury.
Good point (literally and figuratively).

And, a sharp blade will also help reduce the tears when cutting onions (the vessels containing the onion's moisture burst when crushed by a dull knife, whereas a sharp one slices through without breaking them...much).

Good point (literally and figuratively).

And, a sharp blade will also help reduce the tears when cutting onions (the vessels containing the onion's moisture burst when crushed by a dull knife, whereas a sharp one slices through without breaking them...much).

I didn't know that - re the tears.

I didn't know that - re the tears.
If you have a good knife sharpener, you will be able to tell the difference. I try to sharpen the knife I'm going to use right before cutting a lot of onions. It's not worth it if I'm just cutting a slice for a garnish, but you'll notice the difference when cutting in quantity.

Another way is to wear goggles to protect your eyes. That's almost 100% foolproof, but I never have any handy (I have a pair that I use when I visit an assembly plant for my job, but it's far away from the kitchen).

image-13.jpg

I have just seen and read through this thread. When I got to Buckytom's accident with a knife I was poised to share my knowledge on how to avoid this but I see you beat me to it, i.e. 2) the curled fingers inwards! I was taught this when I did my City & Guilds (along with an effective, fast way to finely dice an onion - same method that chefs employ). We were given an array of knives to use for different foods. I still adhere to this mostly. I guess most people here know that a serrated knife is best used on tomatoes (better cutting ability)?

If you have a good knife sharpener, you will be able to tell the difference. I try to sharpen the knife I'm going to use right before cutting a lot of onions. It's not worth it if I'm just cutting a slice for a garnish, but you'll notice the difference when cutting in quantity.

Another way is to wear goggles to protect your eyes. That's almost 100% foolproof, but I never have any handy (I have a pair that I use when I visit an assembly plant for my job, but it's far away from the kitchen).
Or chew something whilst cutting them. The glands responsible for making your eyes water are busy elsewhere, whilst chewing.

Back
Top Bottom