Kobe Bryant & his 13-year-old daughter's sudden deaths. How do you feel?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
3:56 PM
The sports world has lost famed basketball player Kobe Bryant & his 13- year- old daughter Gianni yesterday. What are your thoughts? They & several others had died in a tragic helicopter crash. He was 4. She was 13.:cry:

Not really a basket ball fan, but knew of him, sad to hear, I opened up e mails about an hour after I heard, one so called joke of gordon Ramsay screaming about steak being burnt, I wasn't impressed. Nz has a history of murican imports playing for our local team, the breakers. Our best import is a guy from Texas called RJ Hampton. I see a coach of a baseball team also died. My take on it is weather or engine problems???

Russ

Here's exactly how I felt:

MrsTasty: Wow, Kobe Bryant was killed today!

Me: Who's Kobe Bryant?

No disrespect meant, but I had zero idea who he was.

Here's exactly how I felt:

MrsTasty: Wow, Kobe Bryant was killed today!

Me: Who's Kobe Bryant?

No disrespect meant, but I had zero idea who he was.

I take an interest in most things, and people, with one exception, the kardashions. Couldn't care if they all dropped dead.
Btw I've never seen g.o.t. And don't intend on it either.

Russ

It is easy to fall under the illusion that people like Kobe are invincible. News of his passing kind of pulls the rug out from under you.

The fact that is 13 year old daughter died with him made it worse.

In just a few weeks, we've lost Niel Peart, Terry Jones and Kobe Bryant. At least Terry Jones was pushing 80 when he passed.

CD

Watched a thing on the news last night, the nba logo is looking to be changed to kobes image, not the original of some dude in the 60s? I wouldn't go that far?

Russ

It is easy to fall under the illusion that people like Kobe are invincible. News of his passing kind of pulls the rug out from under you.

The fact that is 13 year old daughter died with him made it worse.

In just a few weeks, we've lost Niel Peart, Terry Jones and Kobe Bryant. At least Terry Jones was pushing 80 when he passed.

CD

To find out that a celeb has been diagnosed with a terrible illness is one thing. But to find out that a celeb had died all of a sudden, that is complete devastation! Add the fact that a person's child had died along with him, that is just total destruction!!

To find out that a celeb has been diagnosed with a terrible illness is one thing. But to find out that a celeb had died all of a sudden, that is complete devastation! Add the fact that a person's child had died along with him, that is just total destruction!!

There's a fine line between life and death it would appear, flying when other services weren't flying tells me something. Pilot was licensed to fly in fog, but should you? I try to use caution when I can.
Still, it's a tragedy.!!

Russ

There's a fine line between life and death it would appear, flying when other services weren't flying tells me something. Pilot was licensed to fly in fog, but should you? I try to use caution when I can.
Still, it's a tragedy.!!
I don't understand how this is any different to the thousands that are killed on the roads each and every year, yet people make a big deal of a single helicopter crash but accept vehicles crashes as normal? What does that tell us about society?

(I'm more bothered by his daughter being killed at 13 years old. At lest he had had a chance at life, but a 13 year old? Just getting started.

I don't understand how this is any different to the thousands that are killed on the roads each and every year, yet people make a big deal of a single helicopter crash but accept vehicles crashes as normal? What does that tell us about society?

(I'm more bothered by his daughter being killed at 13 years old. At lest he had had a chance at life, but a 13 year old? Just getting started.

I can understand that. A loot of good people die everyday, without notice.

I don't know that I would call this a cult of celebrity, though. A few rare people walk this planet with talents WAY above everyone else. If they manage those talents well, do great things -- and are likable people on top of that, we put them on pedestals.

Watching basketball players like Doctor J, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant just makes my mouth hang open thinking, how is that possible.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guMmZrnFx70

CD

Last edited:
While it is tragic, they are no more note worthy than any other persons death. Talent to play a game or act really doesn't surpass a skill for doing a job that is necessary in everyday life.

Now we're getting into a philosophical discussion.

I wouldn't see an actor/sports figure/other celebrity as less or more than a truck driver/insurance salesperson/hair stylist. They all contribute, ideally anyway, in some way to society, right?

I work in IT, in the finance industry, and the division I work for provides financing to large entities for everything from aircraft to office equipment. One of our largest lines of business is hospitals, because most hospitals lease all that fancy medical equipment. Code I've written supports our loan servicing and sales departments, so that when you or I get an MRI, I possibly had a small little part in getting that machine there. That's a nice feeling.

But it's also stressful, because I work a lot of odd hours, and I'm partly responsible for billions of dollars of loans and leases, and if I code something incorrectly, or if there's a breakdown during the day and the fix I implement is wrong, we might bill millions of dollars incorrectly, hold up, or even lose a client.

On days like that, maybe it's nice to go to a play or a movie, or listen to some music, or make a nice meal with fresh local ingredients, or watch a game of sportsball on TV. That helps me unwind, gives me some measure of enjoyment, which makes me a better person to be around, hopefully.

I get that there's a hierarchy of needs in life, and if I'm having a heart attack, I think I'll be shouting for a doctor, not Ryan Gosling, but by the same token, when I think of things that bring me joy, the gravy on my biscuit, if you will, it's not my GP that springs to mind, it's hearing a Pentangle record or reading a good book.

The fact remains that no professional sports player nor actor/actress is anything but entertainment. Everyday life doesn't require their "skills". To me, I get joy from many other things and have never consider either to bring joy. No one should be put on a pedestal and thought of better than anyone else.

One thing I don't get is our honours system, knighting a coach of a sports team, hell these people are on huge salaries. They get paid to do what they do. I just don't get it!! Our ex all black captain, who was on huge money, turned the knighthood down, he has my respect.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom