Herbie

Veteran
Local time
2:27 AM
Well, a sort-of Kung Pao Fish!

I started with this recipe: Kung Pao Fish With Dried Chilies and Sichuan Peppercorns but I did not have all the ingredients and as it is a bank holiday I could not just pop out. I am sure it would be a lot better with proper ingredients (scallions, the bean sauce and chilies) but it was certainly tasty and I will try again once I have been to the shops and found the bean paste)

Marinade
1 large fillet of white fish cut into 2 cm squares.
2 egg whites*, lightly beaten (*I used the yolks and another egg to make egg-fried rice noodles)
1 tsp tamari sauce (In place of soy sauce as tamari is gluten-free)
2 tbsp cornstarch
Sauce
2 tsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp tamari sauce
1 tsp sugar
3 tbsp water
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tbs gluten-free oyster sauce and a tsp hot chili flakes (This was my attempt to replace the doubanjiang sauce. - I will buy for next time)

Stir-Fry
1 brown onion sliced thinly
I chili sliced hot Chinese dry chili peppers, halved
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp Sichuan peppercorn
2 tsp chili flakes

1. Mix together ingredients for the marinade until combined-ish and stir in fish and leave for 15 mins
  2. Mix together sauce ingredients until combined
  3. Shallow fry the fish until brown on each side.
  4. Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper
  5. Fry the onion for 2 minutes
  6. Turn down the heat
  7. add chilies and garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds
  8. Add the sauce and stir until it thickens
  9. Return the fish to the pan and stir until coated
  10. Serve immediately
No photo as we ate it 'immediately' as per instructions:giggle: and it did not look as good as the photo in the link to the original recipe as the onions and chilies did not look so pretty.

ETA: I cant find the bean paste in a gluten-free form ( as others have found https://everyonehastoeat.net/tag/chilli-bean-paste/) . I will research a good alternative as I think making the paste would be a bit much for me!

Last edited:
I served it with egg-fried rice noodles using up a few bits of veg from the fridge, so with strips of field mushroom, carrot and courgette with egg, tamari, garlic, ginger, chilli and sesame oil. Oh, and some peas. It was too much flavour with the kung pao, so next time when I actually plan and shop for this dish I shall make a simple egg fried rice and some green veg, preferably morning glory or Chinese broccoli if I can get hold of any. I would steam with tamari or oyster sauce or stir-fry with ginger/garlic. Keep it quite simple. Or maybe broccoli with sesame seeds and oil. I will post when I experiment next.

Back
Top Bottom