I cup port wine
1/2 cup beef stock
Buttermilk
Butter
Vegetable oil
Plain flour
Parsley and crumbled blue cheese to garnish

Method

Marinate sliced lamb's fry in butter milk for 1-2 hours. Fry bacon pieces in a little oil till coloured and beginning to crisp then remove and keep warm. Lightly coat lamb's fry in flour, then fry in the same pan as bacon adding a little oil if not enough bacon fat remained, then remove when browned but do not overcook. In same pan, add some butter, onions and garlic till onion translucent. Add a little sprinkled flour to onions and brown a little more, then add port and stock and stir to mix in flour. Reduce till sauce thickens. Put lamb's fry and bacon back in sauce and mix through whilst warming.

Serve with smashed potatoes and sprinkle with chopped parsley and crumbled blue cheese.

Last edited:
This really does look good. I love the combination of port sauce and blue cheese. I confess I'd never heard of lamb's fry - I now know its any kind of lambs offal. So is this lamb's liver?

[QUOTE="morning glory, post: 145681, So is this lamb's liver?[/QUOTE]

Hi.. .

Yes, most definitely (here anyway) lamb's fry is always lamb's liver. Is a very old fashioned dish, regarded fondly by older people like my parents who are in their 70's. Except they wouldn't want any hint of nuances like port sauce or blue cheese. Just lambs fry and bacon and onion gravy.. ..and to be honest there's nothing wrong with that either. Haha...

[QUOTE="morning glory, post: 145681, So is this lamb's liver?
Hi.. .

Yes, most definitely (here anyway) lamb's fry is always lamb's liver. Is a very old fashioned dish, regarded fondly by older people like my parents who are in their 70's. Except they wouldn't want any hint of nuances like port sauce or blue cheese. Just lambs fry and bacon and onion gravy.. ..and to be honest there's nothing wrong with that either. Haha...

I love lamb's liver - and I like it with bacon. onions and gravy too. But I can imagine your recipe really working with the slightly sweet port and salty tangy cheese combined with the taste of liver.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom