Recipe Laotian Curry (recipe tester needed)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:38 AM
Please note: I really need someone here to test this recipe for me! I discovered I'm intolerant of coconut milk and consequently I really can't judge if I have the taste right. My son ate the lot and said 'great Mum' but that is all the feedback I have. If someone would be kind enough to make the dish I'd be very grateful! You don't have to use Quorn, you can use chicken or prawns instead. Its the taste of the sauce I need tested.

My notes: Laotian curries are unusual in pairing dill with coconut and curry spices. The aniseed flavour of dill adds a refreshing dimension to the sweet and hot curry.

20171015_112530.jpg

Ingredients (serves 2)
For the curry paste:

1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
A thumb of ginger
1 shallot, finely chopped
3 large garlic cloves, peeled and grated
1 stick of lemongrass
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp medium curry powder

For the curry:
2 tbsp vegetable oil
70 g mange tout, trimmed and sliced diagonally
4 baby corn, chopped into rounds
120g vegan frozen Quorn pieces (you could substitute chicken pieces or prawns for a non vegan version)
1 x 400g tin light coconut milk
100ml veg stock
3 lime leaves
A few de-seeded and chopped red or green birds-eye chillies (optional)
1 tsp sugar
Salt to taste

To finish:
Sprigs of dill
Lime juice

Method
  1. Dry roast the coriander and cumin seeds in a non-stick frying pan. Grind in a pestle and mortar or spice grinder.
  2. Peel and grate or finely chop the ginger (I use a microplane).
  3. Finely chop the inner tender leaves of the lemongrass.
  4. Blend the spices, shallot, garlic and lemongrass adding a little water as needed until you have a paste. I used a stick blender.
  5. Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and add the curry paste.
  6. Cook slowly for 10 minutes until the paste begins to separate. Add the coconut milk, stock and lime leaves. Add whole birds-eye chillies and sugar, if using.
  7. Simmer until the curry sauce is reduced by half and thickened. This takes about 30 mins of slow simmering. Add salt to taste.
  8. Add vegetables, chillies and Quorn pieces and simmer until the Quorn is heated through (approx. 5 mins). Adjust the time accordingly if using chicken pieces or prawns.
  9. Serve with boiled rice. Add a generous squeeze of lime juice to the sauce and sprinkle with fresh dill.

Last edited:
I don't do the grocery shopping for the household and I know my brother doesn't like coconut. I thought I would be testing it for myself and that maybe you would send me a sample.

I can, but it won't be Quorn or light coconut milk (tofu and a smaller amount of coconut cream would be used instead)

Had it occurred to you that it might not be coconut milk/cream that is the problem but an additive in the one you are using? Especially if you are using a fat reduced one. I remember reading that you were fine with coconut flakes. I'm able to purchase a make called Ayam which is literally just coconut flesh and water. The milk having more water than the cream.

I can, but it won't be Quorn or light coconut milk (tofu and a smaller amount of coconut cream would be used instead)

Had it occurred to you that it might not be coconut milk/cream that is the problem but an additive in the one you are using? Especially if you are using a fat reduced one. I remember reading that you were fine with coconut flakes. I'm able to purchase a make called Ayam which is literally just coconut flesh and water. The milk having more water than the cream.

Good point. I don't know - but I made Mushroom paté with coconut fat (a different product) and got the same reaction. I am perfectly OK with coconut flakes and have discovered how fantastic they are i curry sauces (recipe to follow).

I'm sure that would be OK. Its the taste of the sauce I want to know about - so its part one of the recipe (for the curry paste), plus some kind of coconut milk/cream plus vegetable stock reduced down. I need to know how that sauce tastes.

Good point. I don't know - but I made Mushroom paté with coconut fat (a different product) and got the same reaction. I am perfectly OK with coconut flakes and have discovered how fantastic they are i curry sauces (recipe to follow).
If it worth trying to make your own coconut milk. It's not difficult. It's thinner than the shop bought stuff but nicer. I freeze the excess I don't use from a whole coconut.

IMG_0975.JPG

Here's my interpretation of your recipe. You may notice a few differences (namely, large cube-shaped differences). I thought the recipe had tofu in it for some reason (maybe because, shall we say, more than one of your recipes have had tofu in it recently). So, I set about draining a block of it while I prepared everything else. There was a distinctly absent tofu step, but by then it was already too late. I decided to add the cubes at the end, gently, and let it cook for another 10 minutes.

I really wish I had bought dill....I was at the supermarket, and I could have, but this is another flaw of mine: not writing things down. Cilantro, of course, tasted great, but I know it's not authentic. Another difference: I used soy sauce instead of salt. I just have a weird loyalty to the region I'm cooking in, so I always use soy sauce for salt in Asian dishes. And, I was out of lime leaves, so I used curry leaves.

I was very happy to have a chance to use my mortar and pestle for the first time. I not only ground up the toasted spices, but also the rest of the curry.

IMG_0973.JPG

It took about 10 minutes of grinding, but look at how terrific that looks:

IMG_0974.JPG

So, time for my verdict. I really liked this! Before it reduced, I was skeptical: the flavor was a bit lacking. But, the reduction made all the difference as the flavors were concentrated. I served it on Basmati rice. This is something I will make again, but next time it will be with dill.

View attachment 11302

Here's my interpretation of your recipe. You may notice a few differences (namely, large cube-shaped differences). I thought the recipe had tofu in it for some reason (maybe because, shall we say, more than one of your recipes have had tofu in it recently). So, I set about draining a block of it while I prepared everything else. There was a distinctly absent tofu step, but by then it was already too late. I decided to add the cubes at the end, gently, and let it cook for another 10 minutes.

I really wish I had bought dill....I was at the supermarket, and I could have, but this is another flaw of mine: not writing things down. Cilantro, of course, tasted great, but I know it's not authentic. Another difference: I used soy sauce instead of salt. I just have a weird loyalty to the region I'm cooking in, so I always use soy sauce for salt in Asian dishes. And, I was out of lime leaves, so I used curry leaves.

I was very happy to have a chance to use my mortar and pestle for the first time. I not only ground up the toasted spices, but also the rest of the curry.

View attachment 11303

It took about 10 minutes of grinding, but look at how terrific that looks:

View attachment 11304

So, time for my verdict. I really liked this! Before it reduced, I was skeptical: the flavor was a bit lacking. But, the reduction made all the difference as the flavors were concentrated. I served it on Basmati rice. This is something I will make again, but next time it will be with dill.

It looks like you made a very job of this! Thank you for testing it out. I really do appreciate it. Its a pity you used tofu I think because tofu is inherently bland and I'm not sure how much flavour it would have picked up from the cooking - chicken would be better, perhaps. You did make quite a few changes but I think the main taste of the sauce was what I was concerned about so I don't think the changes you made would interfere too much with that - except perhaps for the lack of fresh lime leaves which do add a very distinctive flavour.

Anyway, I'm very relieved that it worked! Thanks again - your a star!

Its a pity you used tofu I think because tofu is inherently bland and I'm not sure how much flavour it would have picked up from the cooking - chicken would be better, perhaps.
I forgot to mention: I also used a can of baby clams. I saw the part where a small amount of stock was needed, and I didn't want to spend the time making it (plus the only stock I had on my shelf was seafood stock...which, in retrospect, probably would have worked). I don't normally like canned things, but I knew that I could get a lot of flavor from them: the juices in the can served as the stock, and then I had the extra taste of the clams themselves. And, point of fact, the baby corn was in a can, too, so I had already crossed that line. In the end, the tofu just stretched the recipe.

I forgot to mention: I also used a can of baby clams. I saw the part where a small amount of stock was needed, and I didn't want to spend the time making it (plus the only stock I had on my shelf was seafood stock...which, in retrospect, probably would have worked). I don't normally like canned things, but I knew that I could get a lot of flavor from them: the juices in the can served as the stock, and then I had the extra taste of the clams themselves. And, point of fact, the baby corn was in a can, too, so I had already crossed that line. In the end, the tofu just stretched the recipe.

Ah - that is interesting. There are many Laotian curries which include fish - and fish sauce.

IMG_0976.JPG

I bought some dill, and tried it again. I like how the dill plays under the curry here. I also added the lime. Quite an interesting flavor combination! Next time, though, I'll skip the tofu and add shrimp or something else that actually has flavor.

View attachment 11319

I bought some dill, and tried it again. I like how the dill plays under the curry here. I also added the lime. Quite an interesting flavor combination! Next time, though, I'll skip the tofu and add shrimp or something else that actually has flavor.

Good one! I do think the dill is important (and the lime leaves). Shrimp would be my choice plus a squirt of fish sauce.

Back
Top Bottom