Legalize cannabis?

Shadow

Sommelier
Local time
4:20 AM
storrington; via montreal, horsham, toronto
Cannabis is legal in Canada. As of today, folk can wander down to their local cannabis store and buy a few grams of their favourite 'brand'.

Should the country you live in do likewise?

And for you lucky canucks, how will it change your life? Or cooking - choc chip cookies laced with THC? Gives hash browns a whole new meaning!

Not quite as freely usable as it sounds
What is legal as of October 17, 2018

Subject to provincial or territorial restrictions, adults who are 18 years of age or older are legally able to:

·possess up to 30 grams of legal cannabis, dried or equivalent in non-dried form in public share up to 30 grams of legal cannabis with other adults
·buy dried or fresh cannabis and cannabis oil from a provincially-licensed retailer in in provinces and territories without a regulated retail framework, individuals are able to purchase cannabis online from federally-licensed producers grow, from licensed seed or seedlings, up to 4 cannabis plants per residence for personal use make cannabis products, such as food and drinks, at home as long as organic solvents are not used to create concentrated products.

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/cj-jp/cannabis/

I hate the stuff. Its responsible for my son ending up very mentally ill. But in a controlled way for medicinal use, it can be useful. Alcohol is also a legal drug and obviously leads to terrible things health wise too. Its a tough question. I just happen to have first hand experience of the results of cannabis addiction.

Not quite as freely usable as it sounds
Not sure why not.
As of 2 days ago, it was only available illegally. Now it's not, with similar restrictions to alcohol.
A little context may help. For the vast majority of canadians, alcohol is only available from government approved stores - it is not available in the corner shop, offie or supermarket.

Like most things, moderation is the key.

Sure. The other issue with cannabis is that most folk smoke it which means its mixed with tobacco and that in itself is bad news. Of course, it is possible to consume it in other ways, but my experience is that smoking it in joints is the most common.

Not sure why not.
As of 2 days ago, it was only available illegally. Now it's not, with similar restrictions to alcohol.
A little context may help. For the vast majority of canadians, alcohol is only available from government approved stores - it is not available in the corner shop, offie or supermarket.
The amount you can actually carry, and not be arrested, is 30g. Not an amount that most users would be carrying.

There are so many issues here this will be difficult to discuss without stepping on anyone's toes.

The subject of legalization runs the gamut from simple and common misperceptions about its use all the way to institutionalized racism in the US.

I think legalization will help with the latter, but it will definitely have delitirious effects on a generation or two of our youth before it is controlled and utilized in our society for what it is: a mind altering substance.

It is certainly different from alcohol in that it really only has that function, even at the smallest concentrations. Conversely, alcohol can be enjoyed in small amounts for its flavour without having much if any obvious effect on the mind.

Last edited:
There are so many issues here this will be difficult to discuss without stepping on anyone's toes.

That is for sure!

The subject of legalization runs to gamut from simple and common misperceptions about its use all the way to institutionalized racism in the US.

This is a very insightful comment. I can't add very much here but I appreciate this thoughtful post.

The Florida legislature is still dragging their feet with medical pot that the people voted for 2 years ago. I believe what was voted for and passed does not include the smokable version. There are many radio ads to come see a "Pot Doctor" to get your prescription with locations and times. Guess medical pot is a very loose term. Look at the tax revenue from states that have legalized it for recreational use. I wonder how the illegal dealers are doing in those states?

I've always believed that cannabis should be legal (my predictive text thing just suggested "compulsory", which is an amusing idea) and I've not changed my mind. If we can drink and smoke, why should we not indulge in something less harmful?

I guess if it's legal, you can at least be more certain of its quality, as opposed to what you might get illegally 'on the streets'. I've read that weed is sometimes laced with other substances to enhance its effects, like PCP, embalming fluid, heroin... when you put it in that perspective, I am definitely all for.

Mg sorry to hear about your son. I hung out with a bikie gang when I was only 15 and bought my first motor bike. My best friend had 2 brothers in a gang here. We went to all the parties on the weekend. Dope was passed around all the time, I smoked a bit for about a year but when they started handing out acid, I knew it was time to take another road in my life. Don't get me wrong I had the odd joint over maybe a 5 year period. Then nothing. When my kids reached about 12 I took them aside and said I don't want you doing drugs until you are 20. If you can do that I will give you a thousand dollars. They both took me up,on it, as I told them the brain doesn't stop growing until you are around 20. They stuck to it , and never asked for the $1000. I know they have now tried it but don't smoke it.
Synthetics is here and killed dozens over the past few years.
Heaven help my kids with their grandkids. So many temptations out there.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom