Recipe Lemon ginger shrimp en papillote

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
4:46 AM
2019-01-11 18.16.48.jpg

Makes 2 servings

I divided ours up differently than instructions because Craig eats more than I do, so it was like a 60/40 division instead of 50/50. Next time, I would also probably add 1 to 1-/2 tsp, maybe even 2 of finely chopped garlic (not microplaned though). I might even replace the carrots with thinly julienned red bell peppers, as I love the combo of shrimp and red bells.

1-1/4 cups Napa cabbage, sliced in about 1/2 slices, removing any large white thick stem parts if you don't like some crunchiness in your cabbage
3/4 cup jasmine rice
1/4 cup green or white onion, sliced thin
1/2 cup carrots, julienned very thinly or sliced in very thin rounds with a mandolin
2" fresh ginger, peeled, chopped
14-16 wild shrimp (size 21-25/lb), shelled & cleaned
salt and white pepper
1/2 lemon, sliced into thin rounds
3 Tbsp mirin
2 Tbsp sesame oil
1-1/2 Tbsp ponzu sauce (or use lemon or lime juice plus soy sauce)
2 pieces of parchment paper, roughly 15"x24"

Thai sweet chili sauce to garnish (optional). I tried it with and without, I liked it better with.
Additional lemon or lime wedges for squeezing (optional)

Cook the rice by bringing 1-1/4 cups water to a boil, add a good pinch of salt, stir in the rice, cover, place back on burner, bring back to a boil, then turn the burner off and let sit for 15-20 minutes. After that, move off burner, remove cover, toss with a fork and let cool, tossing with the fork several times to speed along cooling. Rice will NOT be fully cooked. Don't worry about this.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425 F. Set out a baking sheet large enough to hold the parchment packets. Fold each parchment sheet in half (now 15x12) and cut a large, fat heart shape. Then, do your prep/cutting as above. Mix the mirin, sesame oil and ponzu in a small bowl, set aside.

Spread 1/2 of the rice just to the right of center on 1 open heart, spreading it out, but leaving an inch or so border around the edge. Top with 1/4 of the cabbage, onion, carrots and ginger, salt and pepper. Repeat with remaining 1/4 of the vegetables. Add half of the shrimp on top, sprinkle with salt and pepper and arrange half of the lemon rounds over the shrimp. Sprinkle with half of the mirin, sesame oil and ponzu sauce mixture.

2019-01-11 18.12.08.jpg

Fold the other half of the heart over the top, lining up the edges. Beginning with the bottom of the heart (the tip), fold over a short section, pleat and pinch together, press down to seal and repeat the fold/pleat/pinch/press, working all the way around.

Repeat the above with the remaining ingredients to create a second packet.

2019-01-11 18.11.37.jpg

Place the packets onto the baking sheet and place in the center of the preheated oven. Reduce the oven temp to 400 F and bake about 12 minutes. The packets should puff slightly as they cook.

To serve, place each packet on a plate, and use a knife or kitchen shears to cut an X on top to fold open. Serve with additional lemon wedges to squeeze and/or Thai sweet chile sauce to drizzle over the packet contents if you like.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom