Recipe Lemon Semolina Cake

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
8:12 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
To go with my Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Lemon Polenta Cake, I have decided to add a Lemon Semolina Cake to the current challenge. I have obviously made it dairy free so that I can eat it!

I've adapted the recipe from this site (https://www.alexandracooks.com/2016/05/20/ottolenghis-lemon-semolina-cake/) and they have adapted it from this site (http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/semolina-lemon-syrup-cakes)

Ingredients
150g almond flour or almond meal
100g semolina flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
175ml olive oil
250g golden caster sugar
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
3 eggs
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice

Syrup
juice of 2 large lemons (use3 or 4 if they are not large and juicy).
1-2 tsp caster sugar (more if you like it sweeter)
100ml water

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F, 180C or Gas 4. Grease a loaf pan and line with parchment paper.
  2. Add the almond flour, semolina flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk the oil and sugar together.
  4. Add the eggs, one at a time to the oil sugar mixture beating to mix well.
  5. Now add the dry ingredients & the grated lemon zest, whisking to combine well without lumps.
  6. Finally beat in the lemon juice.
  7. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, and bake until golden brown which will be roughly 50 to 60 minutes. Lightly press the top of the cake to test — it should feel lightly springy when done. The cake is ready when a skewer exits cleanly.
  8. Meanwhile make the lemon drizzle; add the lemon juice to a small pan, add the water and caster sugar. Gently bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes until reduced to a syrup.
  9. Cool the cake for 20mins, then using a small skewer/tooth pick skewer the cake evenly about 100 times and pour over syrup over the cake evenly and slowly (for maximum absorption).
I'll add the photo a touch later when I have made the cake tomorrow.

Last edited:
It is a very moist cake but without the lemon syrup has little taste of lemons. It is grainy. Or mine is despite having fine semolina. Next time I might grind the semolina first. Also the syrup has made the top soggy to the point of falling apart. Probably my fault but something to be aware of.

DSC_1121.JPG

Back
Top Bottom