Liking one food but hating a derivative of it?

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
11:39 AM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
I'm curious about this!

I know quite a few people that love tomato sauce/ketchup but can't stand actual tomatoes. I guess the same would go for things like loving boiled eggs but hating them scrambled, or something like that. Or my husband for instance -- he hates normal yogurt, but loves frozen yogurt (maybe because it's closer to his beloved ice cream!)

I know a lot of people are textural eaters so maybe it has something to do with that!

What about you? Do you know anyone like this, or maybe are you yourself one of these people?

The thing that comes to mind for me is onions. My children never liked onions but they liked onion rings.I always found that odd.

I use and cook with tinned tomatoes all the time, but don't like fresh tomatoes (usually because they are so watery and tasteless in the UK), but will happily use tomato paste as well as anything tomato based except tomato sauce!

The same used to go for orange juice (yes) and oranges (no), but that also changed when I was in Greece over Christmas a few years back and the fresh oranges there were to die for.

What else? I can't think of anything off the top of my head right now, but I guess those 2 examples will do.

I can now eat peanut butter again with biscuits, but don't like to see it as an ingredient in most anything-crackers, granola bars, nothing.

I can now eat peanut butter again with biscuits, but don't like to see it as an ingredient in most anything-crackers, granola bars, nothing.

@winterybella I am much like you when it comes to peanut butter. I like peanut butter on biscuits and bread, but do not like the flavour of it in cake, sweet biscuits, granola bars, or anything else that people like to add it to. I also like eggs done most ways - scrambled, fried, omelette, and hard boiled. I do not like soft boiled egg or eggs that are sunny-side up. I like apple tarts and apple juice, but am not fond of the actual apples.

Last edited by a moderator:
@winterybella I am much like you when it comes to peanut butter. I like peanut butter on biscuits and bread, but do not like the flavour of it in cake, sweet biscuits, granola bars, or anything else that people like to add it to. I also like eggs done most ways - scrambled, fried, omelette, and hard boiled. I do not like soft boiled egg or eggs that are sunny-side up. I like apple tarts and apple juice, but am not fond of the actual apples.

I am exactly the same way. I enjoy a peanut butter sandwich but I don't like peanut butter cooked in anything. The same with raisins. I like raisins just to eat them but I don't like them cooked in anything.

When I was young, I hated potatoes but ironically I loved hash brown. I knew that hash brown is made from potatoes but you cannot make me it fries which was not popular at the time I was a teenager. And I also do not eat mashed potatoes because the potatoes seemed to go against my taste buds. I only learned how to appreciate potatoes was when I started eating steak. One garnishing is the baked potato balls which is so tasty. Now I can eat anything potato-made although I am not fond of potatoes yet.

I love fresh strawberries, but find strawberry flavoured products,such as ice cream very synthetic tasting.

I never drink coffee, but love coffee cake and ice cream.

Butter/spread on sandwiches makes me gag, but I love garlic bread,or things cooked in garlic butter

I love dark chocolate but I hate the bitterness of the actual cacao plant and seeds. LOL. I don't think anyone actually eats cacao unless it's an ingredient in your native dish though. I love mustard but I just don't like mustard seeds oddly enough my partner used to put it in their salad but I think it's gross.

Back
Top Bottom