Recipe Lime Leaf Sauce

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
5:45 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
This started out as the baseline marinade for a stir-fry. I can't recall making a marinade and liking it so much that I saved some of it separately to use as a dipping sauce. But, that's what happened here. This is based on a marinade recipe on The Spruce.

This definitely has an in-your-face lime leaf flavor; if you're unsure of how much you'll like that flavor, I suggest starting with a few leaves, tasting, and then adding more as needed.

Ingredients

1/2 red onion, diced
1/2 lime, peeled and seeded and finely chopped
3 ounces white mushrooms
1 serrano pepper
10 lime leaves
1 ounce garlic (4-5 cloves), minced
1 ounce ginger, minced
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 ounce fresh basil
1 ounce vegetable oil
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon Chinkiang vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Directions

1. Peel the lime leaves off the stems and discard the stems. Using kitchen sheers, cut lime leaf into tiny pieces.

IMG_1268.JPG

2. Add all ingredients to a food processor. Puree until fully blended.
IMG_1269.JPG

Last edited:
This started out as the baseline marinade for a stir-fry. I can't recall making a marinade and liking it so much that I saved some of it separately to use as a dipping sauce. But, that's what happened here. This is based on a marinade recipe on The Spruce.

Ingredients

1/2 red onion, diced
1/2 lime, peeled and seeded and finely chopped
3 ounces white mushrooms
1 serrano pepper
10 lime leaves
1 ounce garlic (4-5 cloves), minced
1 ounce ginger, minced
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 ounce fresh basil
1 ounce vegetable oil
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon Chianking vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Directions

1. Peel the lime leaves off the stems and discard the stems. Using kitchen sheers, cut lime leaf into tiny pieces.

View attachment 14832

2. Add all ingredients to a food processor. Puree until fully blended.
View attachment 14833

What kind of limes did you use that have seeds and do you mean Chinkiang rice vinegar?

What kind of limes did you use that have seeds and do you mean Chinkiang rice vinegar?
I haven't seen seeds in any limes I've gotten in a long time, which is great; not sure why lemons seem to still be bred with seeds a lot of the time. But, I figured I'd mention it on the odd chance that there's a seed that gets missed.

Yes...I did mean Chinkiang vinegar (ingredient list updated accordingly).

By the way, this definitely has an in-your-face lime leaf flavor. I happen to like it, since it retains its flavor while not overpowering the flavor of other things. If you're unsure of how much you'll like that flavor, I suggest starting with a few leaves, tasting, and then adding more as needed.

Back
Top Bottom