Liquorice

According to https://www.measuringworth.com/ukcompare/relativevalue.

£1 in 1971 is equivalent to £21.30 in 2015 if we take into account average wages

£1 = 240 x 1d (old money) so 1d is equivalent to 2130p divided by 240 = 8.875p (call it 9p)

So 1d in 1971 = 9p now.
In which case (if my maths is correct) the sticks are just over twice as expensive. But I'm not entirely sure my maths is correct!! :hyper:

I'm sure I haven't got this right...

Love the stuff but try not to eat it on a regular basis due to the sugar content and the 'digestive' effect it can have.

Maths seems ok if figures are correct - so at 20p it's gone up by 100% as above.
Still it might be a better way of 'digestion control' than some of the pills and potions many people seem to resort to [and think essential] these days

Maths seems ok if figures are correct - so at 20p it's gone up by 100% as above.
Still it might be a better way of 'digestion control' than some of the pills and potions many people seem to resort to [and think essential] these days
Yes - but I'm not sure if £1 in 1971 really equals £20 today. If my memory serves me right, I remember working in a Saturday job (that would have been earlier, though - around 1967) and getting £1 in wages for the day. Now the minimum wage would mean it was a lot more than £20 for the day.

Another source (looking at the price of a pint if beer) states:

1971 the average National UK wage ( for men ) was £28 per week.
Based on a 40 hour week and post decimalisation Bitter at 12.5p / pint
One hour's work would buy 5.6 pints.

Average wage said to be £502 per week.
Beer at £3.40 a pint
At a 38 hour week = 3.87 pints per hour

http://www.norfolkpubs.co.uk/utility/pob.htm

Yes - but I'm not sure if £1 in 1971 really equals £20 today. If my memory serves me right, I remember working in a Saturday job (that would have been earlier, though - around 1967) and getting £1 in wages for the day. Now the minimum wage would mean it was a lot more than £20 for the day.
Hard to tell with 'saturday' jobs though - way back then the pay was mostly in the lap of the employer and it would often depend on the age of the employee.

I love them.

Don't forget "Poor Bens"........

1-111-Poor-Ben.jpg

Salted liquorice is about the only type I used to like, but liquorice root tea is another matter although. I drink that everyday now.
I haven't tried it but I think I may like it. I drink tea more than coffee and I enjoy herbal teas. One of my favourites is Vanilla Chai which has liquorice in it.

Another source (looking at the price of a pint if beer) states:

I remember bitter at 1/7 and mild at 1/5. Double Diamond was 2/6 at that time far more than I could afford. If I remember correctly my wage was £4.00/week then but I was only 17 y.o. (I had to visit a pub some 3/4 mile away because the landlords of nearer pubs had known my Dad.)

Another lover of all kinds of liquorice here.

I used to grow chervil in my garden because it tastes like licorice.

When I was a kid, I could sit and eat foot after foot of red shoelace licorice, although that's just more of a sugar candy.

Back
Top Bottom