Looking for a recipe: Saltfish & Ackee

SlightlyConfused

Local time
8:14 PM
I did a search but I have not seen what I was looking for so far so thought I would ask here. I was not sure where to put this post it since it involves things other than fish. I am making Jerk Chicken and and I was looking to do another Jamaican dish with it. I have made Jerk chicken before but have never made an Ackee and Saltfish dish and really want an authentic version. If anyone has a lead or knows a good place to find Ackee and Saltfish dish and other Jamaican/Caribbean dishes or has an actual recipe they are willing to share it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks I just was reminded this morning as well that we will attending a small community festival Saturday and there is a large Jamaican community in the area so I am going to see if I can meet someone there who can help me lead me in the direction where to get one.

Thanks I have seen most of the ones on the internet, I cannot put my finger on it but something appears off with them. I could be completely wrong and I have not had it in such a long time my memory may not be trustworthy after such a long period of time. Thanks and I do appreciate it but I guess what I am looking for is one from a family recipe just so I can compare them or an older one from a recipe book to see a comparison. Older recipe books sometimes and I do stress sometimes carry more authentic versions then some of the new ones that reimagine recipes but this is not always the case.

I can not say what but they seem to slightly differ and as I said I may just be completely wrong. I may have a comparison, someone from the community centre thinks they can get me a recipe and if they do and it okay with them I will post it as a comparison, watch it be the same and I have been imagining it all along and running around looking for something that I am wrong about. Ackee are not that common so if I am going to the trouble of hunting them down I want the best recipe I can find and knowing that comment I just made is very subjective lol. If they cannot get me one or if they prefer I not I will let people know as well.

OK - I have found a recipe in an old cookery book by Kenneth Gardnier who was born in Jamaica. Although I haven't tried this recipe I've cooked other recipes from this book and I think they are pretty much authentic. Easiest thing is if I photograph the pages. Give me a minute...

Here we go:

fullsizeoutput_3743.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3745.jpeg

20180720_161612.jpg

It may not be any better than those you have researched - I think Saltfish & Ackee is really quite a simple dish.

The version you posted has pork and I believe that is what the others are missing. I cannot thank you enough for getting that for me. There are a few other differences as well and I think I will see what I get tomorrow from the woman at the community canter and I can compare them all and when i make it I will let people know which version I chose, again thank you so very much. I was thinking of making it today but I have not yet soaked my salted cod so it will have to wait until Sunday at least before I make it now since tomorrow is out. I am making fruit explosion muffins currently I guess the family will have to survive off those lol, now I need to come up with something quick for this evenings dinner as people cannot survive on muffins alone.

The version you posted has pork and I believe that is what the others are missing. I cannot thank you enough for getting that for me. There are a few other differences as well and I think I will see what I get tomorrow from the woman at the community canter and I can compare them all and when i make it I will let people know which version I chose, again thank you so very much. I was thinking of making it today but I have not yet soaked my salted cod so it will have to wait until Sunday at least before I make it now since tomorrow is out. I am making fruit explosion muffins currently I guess the family will have to survive off those lol, now I need to come up with something quick for this evenings dinner as people cannot survive on muffins alone.

I'm now wanting to make that Ackee & Saltfish myself! I'd need to find a source of the saltfish first. I note that the pork is listed as 'salt pork'. I'm not sure what that is...

Salt Pork is available where I get my salted cod, phone around someone should carry it. I cannot us the pork because someone in my family gets sick from it so I am going to have to make the one without it and they are who as well as I , I was planning on making it for. Just desalting my fish now. Be careful will ackee is is poisonous just make sure you rinse it at least 5 times thoroughly and if it has seeds they need to be fully removed as well as any red parts left. If you but canned like I did they are deseeded but you still have to since at least 5 times.

Back
Top Bottom