Loose vegetables

One other thing worth considering as well. You're in a supermarket, and there are people sneezing over the fresh produce. Would you want to buy it afterwards?
So when you buy it in a packet you know for sure that the picker didn't sneeze on it either? You have a tap - wash it.

Last edited:
If I ever shopped in Asda then now would be the time I stopped. But I don't so I can't.

When the Government is putting huge pressure on supermarkets to reduce the appalling levels of food waste, (mainly caused by BOGOF offers and best before dates), and the Marine Conservation Society is asking us to give up plastic for June (on account of the staggering amount floating around the seas), Asda comes up with a great plan to make their customers buy preset quantities that they don't necessarily need, in a plastic bag with a best before date printed on it. Astounding work Asda.

Last edited:
The fruit and veg in Asda has never been particularly good in any case. I always find range and quality higher in Morrisons, Tesco and Sainsbury's.

We don't shop in ASDA anyway, and excuse my ignorance because I haven't done any research here, but from my point of view fruit and veg are better in some cases to be sold loose because not everyone wants a bag of something, we try to buy loose so we buy what we need this way we don't waste anything, yes some bagged items are useful for some but not all. The idea most likely came from a think tank somewhere in la la land.

If I ever shopped in Asda then now would be the time I stopped. But I don't so I can't.

When the Government is putting huge pressure on supermarkets to reduce the appalling levels of food waste, (mainly caused by BOGOF offers and best before dates), and the Marine Conservation Society is asking us to give up plastic for June (on account of the staggering amount floating around the seas), Asda comes up with a great plan to make their customers buy preset quantities that they don't necessarily need, in a plastic bag with a best before date printed on it. Astounding work Asda.
Tesco are looking at dropping the charge on their bags. Due in part to more baskets being removed from their stores. This despite the newer ones being chipped and the older ones being tagged, to prevent their theft.

but could actually benefit the few remaining greengrocers!
Reason why we have so few greengrocers ? Well here's one reason, we owned a green grocer shop years ago and the number of 'customers' who came in for odds and ends with the phrase "Oh it's so useful to be able to get stuff you forgot to buy in the supermarket". Sorry folks but you can't make a living on bits and crying about it now is too little too late. Our shop closed on my father's death and I for one never ever even considered trying to continue a losing battle..
As for BB dates and 'the government' well again it's our own fault. Too many people with compensation claims in their eyes if anything is even remotely not 100% perfect. The supermarkets would probably like to give more time for produce to sell but they dare not risk it [and after all we would be the ones picking up the bill]. The government trying to cut down on food wastage - they won't be paying the compo claims out [TBH they almost never pay any claims out of whatever type or age]. It is just easy rhetoric to make themselves look good

Tesco are looking at dropping the charge on their bags. Due in part to more baskets being removed from their stores. This despite the newer ones being chipped and the older ones being tagged, to prevent their theft.
I thought the bag charge was a legal requirement?

Reason why we have so few greengrocers ? Well here's one reason, we owned a green grocer shop years ago and the number of 'customers' who came in for odds and ends with the phrase "Oh it's so useful to be able to get stuff you forgot to buy in the supermarket". Sorry folks but you can't make a living on bits and crying about it now is too little too late. Our shop closed on my father's death and I for one never ever even considered trying to continue a losing battle..
As for BB dates and 'the government' well again it's our own fault. Too many people with compensation claims in their eyes if anything is even remotely not 100% perfect. The supermarkets would probably like to give more time for produce to sell but they dare not risk it [and after all we would be the ones picking up the bill]. The government trying to cut down on food wastage - they won't be paying the compo claims out [TBH they almost never pay any claims out of whatever type or age]. It is just easy rhetoric to make themselves look good
I think you are right on this. Supermarkets had a vested interest in consumers throwing away perfectly good items that were past there BB dates, thus having to buy more to replace them. I'm sure people have become conditioned to trusting the BB date printed on the packet over trusting their own judgement. Mad. It's good to see the Government squaring up to this problem, and most of the mainstream supermarkets are jumping on board. Maybe social responsibility is a new selling point.

Whenever I can, I use a greengrocery in my local market. The grow a lot of their own stuff but also carry a wide range of unusual things that you wouldn't find in any supermarket. They are knowledgeable and passionate about what they do, and I love picking their brains.

Well they are going one stage further, if you read my link above # 24
Sorry - missed that, but now read it. I actually quite like that idea, even though I think I currently own more bags for life in than my local Tesco!

That's not quite what the news says...they are dropping the 5p plastic bags with a view to forcing us to buy a bag for life!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/24/tesco-plans-could-spell-end-5p-carrier-bag/
For this it all depends on where you look it seems. A third side to the story, it's only a trial.
Tesco has announced that it will begin a trial to phase out 5p single-use carrier bags, meaning shoppers who don’t take their own to its stores will only have the option of buying bags for life.

The 10-week trial will take place in its Aberdeen, Dundee and Norwich stores and, if successful, could see the retail giant axe single-use bags.
Figures released last year show an 85% drop in the number of single-use bags used by shoppers since the charge was introduced.

“We are carrying out a short trial in a few stores to look at the impact on bag usage if we remove single use carrier bags,” a Tesco spokesperson said. “In these stores customers who need a bag can still buy a Bag for Life which they can reuse.”

Back
Top Bottom