Loose vegetables

For this it all depends on where you look it seems. A third side to the story, it's only a trial.
Tesco has announced that it will begin a trial to phase out 5p single-use carrier bags, meaning shoppers who don’t take their own to its stores will only have the option of buying bags for life.

The 10-week trial will take place in its Aberdeen, Dundee and Norwich stores and, if successful, could see the retail giant axe single-use bags.
Figures released last year show an 85% drop in the number of single-use bags used by shoppers since the charge was introduced.

“We are carrying out a short trial in a few stores to look at the impact on bag usage if we remove single use carrier bags,” a Tesco spokesperson said. “In these stores customers who need a bag can still buy a Bag for Life which they can reuse.”
Yes of course I read that it's a trial. I didn't imply that it was a permanent situation.

Call me an old cynic but I still believe the government don't give a cuss about the wastage - they simply want to appear green and eco -friendly because it might win a few votes and this is just an easy [and cheap] way for them to do so.
You're an old cynic. But probably right.

You're an old cynic. But probably right.
More down to having to produce an item, who's use has fallen by 85% since the charge was introduced.

Be interesting to know how big the drop in usage in the three places being trialled was.

Hardly scientific, I'd concede, but from what I see at my local Co-op, carrier bag charges have made not an iota of difference.

What never ceases to astound me is the number of people that buy a bag to put one or two small items in.

The other thing I find bizarre is people who are carrying large bags or rucksacks, but apparently need a carrier as well.

The three city/town trial may not be very scientific, but why choose them in the first place.

It's easy to keep track of an item your selling. Indivual stores will have their own records, and those handing them out will be the first to notice the drop in use.

That's not quite what the news says...they are dropping the 5p plastic bags with a view to forcing us to buy a bag for life!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/24/tesco-plans-could-spell-end-5p-carrier-bag/
Our local Tesco only does bags for life. One advantage of these is that, when they are too tatty to use any more, you can get them changed for free. Sainsburys and no doubt other supermarkets do this too. I order most of my shopping online and have opted for no carrier bags. Meat and items such as disinfectant and bleach usually come wrapped in a plastic bag for hygiene/safety reasons. You can even order fruit and vegetables as single items and these come in a paper carrier bag, which I find most useful.
I do, however, get most of my fruit and veg, and some meat, from an organic supplier. The fruit and veg usually come loose in a box, although some items are in plastic bags, which I reuse.
When my daughter and her family first moved from five minutes down the road to a place out in the sticks, the nearest supermarket was Asda - it was about a 30 mile round trip. She didn't like it but, for some items, seemed to have no choice. Eventually Tesco opened a small supermarket nearer to where she lived (bit bigger than a 'local' but a lot smaller than a 'metro'), but again not much choice. Where she lives now (still out in the sticks as far as I am concerned) actually has an enormous Sainsburys and the tiniest Tesco local that I have ever seen (although it does have an ATM, which saves at least another 5 minutes walk to the bank!).
As for me, I wouldn't do a food shop in Asda if they paid me. The nearest store never looks clean or tidy and doesn't have nearly enough checkouts or even trolleys to cope in peak shopping times, usually when people are going home from work. The last and only food item I ever bought there was an in-store baked loaf of bread 10 years ago. It was awful and went in the bin.

Our local Tesco only does bags for life. One advantage of these is that, when they are too tatty to use any more, you can get them changed for free. Sainsburys and no doubt other supermarkets do this too. I order most of my shopping online and have opted for no carrier bags. Meat and items such as disinfectant and bleach usually come wrapped in a plastic bag for hygiene/safety reasons. You can even order fruit and vegetables as single items and these come in a paper carrier bag, which I find most useful.
I do, however, get most of my fruit and veg, and some meat, from an organic supplier. The fruit and veg usually come loose in a box, although some items are in plastic bags, which I reuse.
When my daughter and her family first moved from five minutes down the road to a place out in the sticks, the nearest supermarket was Asda - it was about a 30 mile round trip. She didn't like it but, for some items, seemed to have no choice. Eventually Tesco opened a small supermarket nearer to where she lived (bit bigger than a 'local' but a lot smaller than a 'metro'), but again not much choice. Where she lives now (still out in the sticks as far as I am concerned) actually has an enormous Sainsburys and the tiniest Tesco local that I have ever seen (although it does have an ATM, which saves at least another 5 minutes walk to the bank!).
As for me, I wouldn't do a food shop in Asda if they paid me. The nearest store never looks clean or tidy and doesn't have nearly enough checkouts or even trolleys to cope in peak shopping times, usually when people are going home from work. The last and only food item I ever bought there was an in-store baked loaf of bread 10 years ago. It was awful and went in the bin.
If your Asda is anything like our Walmart Supercenters, some are very good, some are fair and some are just awful. I have come to discover with stores, a lot depends on the manager. (That is with any stores, not just Walmart. ) We have a store called Big Lots. It was good for a while, then mediocre then good until the local Harbor Freight took all the good people from there. It was so bad for a while, you didn't want to walk in the door. We found out district was coming in. They brought in new management. It took new management 4 months to get the store back in shape. Now we shop there again. Though the way we shop, the manager usually helps check us out.
Our Walmarts are fair, but if we want nice, clean, well stocked and staffed, we drive 60 miles to shop. Key point being staff.

If your Asda is anything like our Walmart Supercenters,
no, the only thing that you can rely on Asda being is cheap. There are none that are good, let alone very good. Their fruit and veg is the worst. I would actually use Aldi and Lidl before I use Asda and I don't shop in either of those either. Tesco's is about as low as I will go because I prefer good quality veg and fruit with flavour and that is something that Tesco's fruit and veg seem to lack tbh. but that's just my opinion. I actually find Morrison's better tbh.

Asda (a major UK supermarket) has taken the decision to stop selling loose fruit and veg. Shoppers were upset to find they could no longer buy individual carrots, potatoes, apples and other fruit and vegetables loose by weight in stores or online. Instead the supermarket giant now expects customers to buy pre-weighed packs of fruit and veg with barcodes. And the reason for the change? Asda has said research has shown customers prefer buying in packs and that this was a way of offering customers a great range of fresh produce.

“After analysing customer buying habits we decided to trial removing some loose produce items from our stores where our research showed customers preferred buying in packs “Our plan was to listen to customer feedback on this trial before making any permanent changes, and we will do this.”

Customers have taken to social media to show how upset they are by the changes. Thanks to @Elawin for the link.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other...and-veg-and-customers-aren’t-happy/ar-BBB96yD
There's a movement away from
Packaging just starting here. I hope it keeps going, along with dropping the wretched plastic bags.

There's a movement away from
Packaging just starting here. I hope it keeps going, along with dropping the wretched plastic bags.
Plastic bags have certainly got much less here - although most supermarkets stock them and charge if you want one. People are getting used to taking their own bags to the supermarket here.

Our local Tesco has now gone back to having regular carrier bags as well as bags for life. It must have been one of the stores where they had a trial. Why people pay 5p for an ordinary carrier bag rather than 10p for a bag that they can change as soon as it becomes tatty is beyond me. Mind you, I prefer the paper carrier bags they use for online shopping.

Back
Top Bottom