The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
9:41 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_1272.JPG

Once you finish the sauce, this is mostly a straight-forward stir-fry. The lime leaf is very prominent in the sauce, but also somehow manages to be complimentary. I'd compare the flavor of the leaf to what it would taste like if there were a mild habanero. It has that unique fruity sort of flavor. But, it doesn't obscure the other elements: the shiitake mushrooms blend nicely, and the pickled enoki mushrooms add an almost rice noodle feel.

If you've never had lotus root, it's firm and crunchy, with a slight nutty flavor.

Ingredients

7 ounces enoki mushrooms
1 cup apple cider vinegar
2 ounces rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup water
Lime Leaf Sauce
12 ounces lotus root, sliced into 1/4 inch discs
1 pound shiitake mushrooms, sliced stems removed, cut in 1/4 inch slices
1 large carrot, sliced thinly
8 ounces snap peas
2 ounces green onion, cut into small pieces
Basmati rice

Directions

1. Cut root ends off enoki mushrooms and discard. Blend vinegars and water, and add the mushrooms to a bowl to start a quick pickling.

IMG_1271.JPG

2. Add lime leaf sauce, lotus root, mushrooms, carrots, and snap peas to the pan on medium-high heat. Stir and scrape the contents of the pan to ensure everything is fully coated in the sauce, and everything gets an equal cook. Cook for about 5 minutes or until lotus root starts to soften.

3. Add green onion pieces to the pan, and stir fry for at least another minute. If you want a softer texture from the lotus root, continue until it's to your liking.

IMG_1270.JPG

4. Drain liquid from enoki mushrooms. Pull apart strands of the mushrooms as needed to separate them.

5. Serve stir-fry on a bed of basmati rice, with pickled enoki mushrooms added on top.

Last edited:
I've heard on this site all manner of reference to Kafir Lime leaves, but don't know where to get 'em.

I've heard on this site all manner of reference to Kafir Lime leaves, but don't know where to get 'em.

Hard to find here in the UK, too - but one supermarket (Waitrose) now stocks them fresh sometimes. I buy them frozen on-line. They freeze whole, extremely well. Here are some frozen ones I used today:

20180323_134827.jpg

Hard to find here in the UK, too - but one supermarket (Waitrose) now stocks them fresh sometimes. I buy them frozen on-line. They freeze whole, extremely well. Here are some frozen ones I used today:

Around here, it's easier to find a Lime tree.

Back
Top Bottom