Low salt baked goods?

polgara

Veteran
Local time
6:01 AM
I'm now taking care of my 90-year-old grandmother and she has to have a low -sodium diet due to kidney disease, hypertension and chronic congestive heart failure. She loves cakes, pastries, etc. - particularly her morning muffins from a local store. Well, I read the label on these muffins and was shocked at the 440 mg of sodium in them!

All the recipes and mixes I find for baked goods have a lot of sodium so I'm assuming it's to do with the rising? Even pancake mixes have tons of salt per serving. Anyone have low salt versions to share or perhaps know of a resource that gives low-sodium recipes?

I has steered from salt,I prefer to save my salt intake for things like cheese
For bread I have found a baker that uses salt to taste ,proper bread made the way I would make it

Anything you buy pre-made that's risen like muffins and the like, queenbelievue.

Winterybella, thank you for the link but if you try any of those yourself, be careful. The recipes don't actually list salt content and I can tell you for a fact that some of them are NOT low-sodium.

I've done some research and here is why the sodium is so high in baked goods:

2,300 mg of sodium in 1 teaspoon of table salt
487 mg of sodium in 1 teaspoon of baking powder
1,259 mg of sodium in 1 teaspoon of baking soda

It adds up amazingly fast! I'm trying to get lower-sodium versions of everything I can but it's pricey. It averages $7 for the lower-sodium baking powder that I've seen. Yikes!

Back
Top Bottom