Recipe Lucy's Chunky Apple Pie

buckytom

Veteran
Local time
1:45 PM
This is my wife's apple pie recipe that my family requsts her to make for just about every holiday.

Ingredients:
2 pie crusts (we usually use store bought)
3 Rome, 3 Gala, 3 Cortland apples
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsps all purpose flour
1 1/4 tsps cinnamon
1 pinch of salt
juice of 1/2 of a lemon
4 tbsps butter
optional: 1/4 cup reconstituted raisins (place raisins in boiling water for a few minutes, until they get puffy, then drain and let cool.)

Directions:
  1. Peel the apples, then core and slice into 8 sections each. It is very important to make sure each slice equal in size, so we use a corer/divider tool to make things easier.
  2. Place apple sections into a large bowl. Add the lemon juice to moisten.
  3. Combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt and pour over the apples, tossing them to coat. If you are adding the raisins, toss with the apples to coat.
  4. In a 9 1/2 inch glass pie dish (Lucy insists on glass), lay down the first pie crust, making sure there are no holes or splits. We almost always use Pillsbury brand 9" brand of pre-made crusts.
  5. Dump the coated apples into a mound in the crust, pressing them down firmly to remove any gaps . It should look over full, but that's ok. It'll sink as it bakes.
  6. Dot the top all around with small chunks of butter.
  7. Next, carefully lay the second crust over top, folding the edges over the bottom crust, very lightly crimping them with your fingers or a fork.
  8. Cut a 1/2 inch cross in the center of the top crust, then 4 more 1/2 inch cuts radiating out from the center half way out to the edge.
  9. Place the pie in the oven, and a cookie sheet on the shelf below to catch any drippings. There shouldn't be any if you did this right, and the apples weren't too watery. bake for 20 minutes at 425.
  10. Remove pie from oven, and reduce heat to 375. cover the edges around the pie with about an inch or so of crushed up aluminum foil (keeps the edge of the crust from burning) and place back in the oven for another 20 minutes.
  11. Test by putting a knife point down into the slit in the center. if it's done, it should feel soft with just a little resistance.
  12. Let pie rest at least 2 hours so the juices congeal. serve with vanilla ice cream.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the precision of the directions - the glass pie dish, the size of the cuts in the crust, the resting time of 2 hours. Just send me a piece!

My only question. Are these pre-made crusts shortcrust pastry?

Lol, I actually deleted a lot of the extra comments as she dictated the amounts and instructions to me.

Yes, they are shortbread crusts. She's made them from scratch before, but the pre-made ones are very convenient and decent quality.

Lol, I actually deleted a lot of the extra comments as she dictated the amounts and instructions to me.

Yes, they are shortbread crusts. She's made them from scratch before, but the pre-made ones are very convenient and decent quality.

Much better made from scratch but of course the pre-made is a good option. I'm now craving chunky apple pie...

Back
Top Bottom