2 pie crusts

3 Rome, 3 Gala, 3 Cortland apples
3/4 cup sugar (150 g)
2 Tbsps all purpose flour
1 1/4 tsps cinnamon
1 pinch of salt
Juice of 1/2 of a lemon
2 Tbsps butter

Optional: 1/4 cup (40 g) reconstituted raisins (place raisins in boiling water for a few minutes, until they get puffy, then drain and let cool.)

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F (218° C)

Peel the apples, then core and slice into 8 sections. It is very important to make each slice equal in size, so we use a corer/divider tool to make things easier. Place apple sections into a large bowl. Add the lemon juice to moisten the apples.

Combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt, and pour over the apples, tossing them to coat. If you add the raisins, reduce the amount of cinnamon by 1/4 tsp.

In a 9 1/2 inch (24 cm) glass pie plate (my wife insists on glass) lay down the first pie crust, making sure there are no holes or splits. We almost always the Pillsbury 9" brand of pre-made crusts.

Dump the coated apples into a mound in the crust, pressing them down to remove any large empty spaces. It should look over full, but that's ok. It'll sink as it bakes.

Dot the top all around with small chunks of butter.

Next, carefully lay the second crust over top, folding the edges over the bottom crust, very lightly crimping them with your fingers. Do not over crimp.

Cut a 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) cross in the center of the top crust, then 4 more 1/2 inch cuts radiating out from the center half way out to the edge.

Place the pie in the oven, and a cookie sheet on the shelf below to catch any drippings. There shouldn't be any if you did this right, and the apples weren't too watery. bake for 20 minutes at 425° F (218° C).

Remove pie from oven, and reduce heat to 375 (190 °C). cover the edges around the pie with about an inch or so of crushed up aluminum foil (keeps the edge of the crust from burning) and place back in the oven for another 20 minutes.

Test by putting a knife point down into the slit in the center. If it's done, it should feel soft with just a little resistance.

Let pie rest at least 2 hours, so the juices congeal.
Serve with vanilla ice cream.

Is this a family recipe? It is quite similar to how I would make apple pie, although I make my own pastry usually. I notice it is served cooled. Is that the way you normally eat apple pie in the U.S.?

I don't know if this is my wife's family's revipe. I'll have to ask.

We serve apple pie anywhere from warm out of the oven, to refrigerator kept cold. It all depends on an individual's taste.

Some people even serve it with a wedge of ceddar cheese.

I don't know if this is my wife's family's revipe. I'll have to ask.

We serve apple pie anywhere from warm out of the oven, to refrigerator kept cold. It all depends on an individual's taste.

Some people even serve it with a wedge of ceddar cheese.

I like the last idea!

@patriziamariapia
Not certain if this will make it any easier

Indicazioni:

Preriscaldare il forno a 425 gradi F (218 ° C)

Sbucciate le mele, poi mescolate e fate in 8 sezioni. È molto importante rendere ogni fetta uguale in dimensioni, quindi utilizziamo uno strumento corer / divider per rendere le cose più semplici. Posizionare le sezioni di mele in una grande ciotola. Aggiungere il succo di limone per inumidire le mele.

Unire lo zucchero, la farina, la cannella e il sale e versare sopra le mele, lanciandole in cappotto. Se si aggiunge l'uva passa, ridurre la quantità di cannella da 1/4 cucchiaino.

In un piatto di vetro da 9 pollici (24 cm) (mia moglie insiste sul vetro) mette la prima crosta di torta, assicurandosi che non ci siano fori o divisioni. Abbiamo quasi sempre il marchio Pillsbury 9 "di crosta pre-made.

Sfogliate le mele rivestite in un tumulo nella crosta, premendole giù per rimuovere i grandi spazi vuoti. Dovrebbe apparire pieno, ma è ok. Si affonda quando si cuoce.

Punto di punta intorno con piccoli pezzi di burro.

Successivamente, posare la seconda crosta sopra la parte superiore, piegando i bordi sopra la crosta inferiore, facendole leggermente leggermente con le dita. Non sovraccaricare.

Tagliate una croce da 1/2 "(1,25 cm) al centro della crosta superiore, poi altri 4 tagli da 1/2 pollice che emanano dal centro a metà strada verso il bordo.

Mettere la torta nel forno e un foglio di biscotti sullo scaffale sottostante per catturare qualsiasi drippings. Non dovresti esserlo se l'hai fatto bene e le mele non erano troppo acquoso. Cuocere per 20 minuti a 218 ° C (425 ° F).

Togliere la torta dal forno e ridurre il calore a 375 (190 ° C). Coprire i bordi attorno alla torta con circa un pollice di foglia di alluminio schiacciata (mantiene il bordo della crosta da bruciare) e riposizionare nel forno per altri 20 minuti.

Esaminare mettendo un punto di coltello nella fessura del centro. Se è finito, dovrebbe sentirsi morbida con una piccola resistenza.

Lasciate riposare la torta almeno 2 ore, quindi i succhi si congelano.
Servire con gelato alla vaniglia.

Back
Top Bottom