Maggi Noodles recalled

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
12:45 AM
Nestle is having to destroy its stock of instant noodles worth £32million
A batch of instant noodles worth more than £32m is being destroyed by Nestle, in what could be a major blow to the company's reputation across India.

Maggi noodles, the brand's fastest-selling product, were ordered off shop shelves a fortnight ago after government tests revealed some packets contained unsafe levels of lead.

Although Nestle insists the noodles are safe to eat, a massive operation is under way to collect tainted stock from factories and shops across the country.

Before the contamination scandal took hold, Maggi had an 80% share of the instant noodles market - and it had been named as one of India's five most-trusted brands.

But at the start of June, safety officials in Delhi discovered the product had 17.2 parts per million of lead.

Accepted limits in the country are between 0.01 and 2.5 parts per million.

Consuming excessive amounts of lead can lead to bones, the nervous system and kidneys becoming damaged - and it has been linked to learning disorders in children.

Also found inside the products were elevated levels of MSG, a flavour enhancer which was not included in the list of ingredients.

When the food scare began, Nestle claimed tests performed on 125 million packets of Maggi noodles proved that they were compliant with food safety standards.

Since its launch in the 1980s, Maggi has become popular with students in schools and universities across India, generating sales of £157m each year.

Nestle India is currently challenging the ban imposed by India's food safety regulator.

They are on sale in the UK as well.

No harm in making people aware of a product recall though. And despite the link giving India only, the recall is worldwide.

Huh, what a waste. That lead contamination may have arisen from somewhere in the factory. I am not affected by that news though because we do not buy instant noodles of whatever brand. We were forewarned by my brother in law who is a physician. He said that excessive eating of those instant noodles is not good for the kidneys. So we are shying away from instant noodles.

A break-down of the some of the numbers behind the recall.

400 Million Packets
Nestlé estimates there are 400 million uneaten packets of Maggi in India. The noodles dominate the Indian market, accounting for more than one out of every two bowls of instant noodles slurped here. Their bright yellow packets are found on the shelves of middle-class kitchens and mom-and-pop shops across the country.

5 Million Miles
If you boil one packet of Maggi and stand all the noodles end to end, India Real Time’s rough estimate is that the noodles would measure more than 65 feet. That would mean the total length of all the noodles Nestlé is trying to track down is almost five million miles. That’s 200 times around the Earth or 10 round trips to the moon.

1.4 million
They need to source 1.4 million cartons to move the packets of Maggi noodles back to their facilities.

27,000 Tons
The total weight of all the packets is more than 27,000 tons Nestlé says. That’s heavier than the weight of all the gold in India.

2,500 Trucks
Nestlé had to hire 2,500 extra trucks to carry the noodles. The packets will first be warehoused in Nestlé’s 38 distribution centers and then transported to cement plants to be pulverized and incinerated.

50 staff
It will also take a significant amount of time and effort to refund those who have paid for the noodles along the supply chain. Around 50 staff are currently working on this full time.

40 Days
Nestlé says it will take at least 40 days to find and destroy all the packets. Before the recall, around 5% of the noodles were in Nestlé factories, 33% were in its distribution centers, 26% were with distributors and 37% were in the market.

Less Than 1%
Nestlé said that it had so far managed to collect only 84 million noodle packets and destroy just 2.5 million so far. That’s less than 1% of the total stock.

98.47 Billion Calories
All those noodles contain close to 100 billion calories. It would take an average-sized man more than 30,000 years walking on the treadmill to burn that off.

Instant noodles were a bit of a staple food for me when I was a university student - like a lot of people out there, I know!

I always think it's a bit scary when such a well known global brand has an issue with food safety such as this. It really makes you lose faith in a company, that's for sure.

Thankfully I haven't bought their instant noodles in quite some time, and if anything this is an incentive not to!

Back
Top Bottom