Maggot cheese would you eat or have you eaten it?

pinkcherrychef

Local time
4:36 PM
The oh so famous maggot cheese Casu marzu known through out Europe that is banned in some countries as a health risk. It's rumored to be the worlds most dangerous cheese.Others argue it's a traditional cheese that is important to Europe's food culture and is safe in a controlled sanitary environment.

I never knew there was a cheese made specifically with maggots and is a famous delicacy until maybe a few months ago when I was researching cheese so I could make a few. I'm a big book reader and some have mentioned the characters eating cheese with maggots in them but I always thought it was because that was the only cheese available and the characters weren't very rich either. So it I never thought there was cheese out there made specifically with maggots.

When I found out I was like eeeeeeeeeeewww! Then I was like o.o this actually quite strange I must read about this and see what compels a person to eat such a thing. I was quite intrigued by how this cheese is made and eaten. After the cheese is made and shaped it is set out and a cheese fly comes and lays her eggs inside and the maggots eat the cheese and discreet a type of acid that softens the cheese. It's served to the guests with the maggots still inside the cheese. The guests pick out the maggots and eat the cheese some even eat the cheese with the maggots still inside.

I heard the maggots like to jump out of the cheese at quite a distance at the one who is eating there food so you will see people putting there hand in front of the cheese to keep the maggots from jumping in there face. If the guests prefer to not have any maggots alive and jump at them while eating the cheese they put the cheese inside a plastic bag and starve the maggots from oxygen to kill them. The guests will hear the maggot struggling to get out of the bag making a popping sound. When the sound subsides the cheese is taken out of the bag and the maggots are dead inside of the bag and thrown out and the cheese eaten.

I can't get this cheese out of my mind I don't think I would ever eat it but it is quite fascinating. My question for you is have you ever eaten this cheese or would you eat it. I f you did or would how did you eat it? Also if you ever ate it give details on it please ty.
Here's the link for more info
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes - I would eat it. But I certainly wouldn't want those maggots jumping at me!

Pecorino-marcetto.jpg

This link says its banned for health reasons: http://www.ilovecheese.co.uk/casu-marzu-worlds-dangerous-cheese.html
Is Casu Marzu Dangerous?
Casu Marzu has been declared illegal and not in compliance with EU hygienic standards. It is banned by Italian health laws and not sold in shops. In addition to numerous anecdotal reports of allergic reaction (including burning, crawling skin sensations that last for days), there is increasing concern of risk for enteric myiasis, or intestinal larval infection.

Once ingested, it’s possible for the Piophila casei larvae to pass through the human stomach without dying (sometimes stomach acids aren’t enough to kill them). In that case, the maggots may take up residency in the intestines for some time. They can cause serious lesions and bore through intestinal walls, resulting in abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and bloody diarrhoea.

Despite the health warnings, people in Sardinia say they’ve been eating Casu Marzu for hundreds of years without any problem. In fact, the Italian cheese is often brought out for special occasions like birthdays, bachelor parties, and weddings. According to folklore, Casu Marzu is even an aphrodisiac.

View attachment 12947

My reaction;
Don't get me wrong, to each his own, but that's just MY take on it. :sick:
I know what you mean lol. Honestly if I ever came in sight of this thing I'd probably be screaming with fright lol xD. As I said before I have a phobia on maggots, one time my husband found one in his oatmeal to his horror and I couldn't figure out where it came from. I took all the ingreidents I made the oatmeal from and checked everything very well to see where this pest came from. Everything was clear and free from such things until I got to the wheat germ. To my extreme horror as I poured it out onto a plate to investigate I found one squirming in it. My husband heard me shriek and as he ran to see what was wrong he saw me backed up into a corner as far away from that plate as possible pointing at the plate saying eeeeeew eeeew get rid of it get rid of it T-T!!!! He was bursting out laughing at my reaction. I never again let wheat germ be outside but always be in the fridge from then on. Not to mention I always keep everything tightly closed from then on to prevent such things. So even though this cheese interest me I would never be able to go near it lol.

Much as I love cheese, this one is just a step to far for me. I don't like bugs at the best of times, so having them in my food (or even knowing that they have been in my food) puts me off completely. I'm not sure I could even sit at the same table as someone eating it. :sick:

(One final note of caution, some people wear eye protection when eating Casu Marzu: the maggots are known to jump as high as six inches and straight toward the eyeballs with exact precision. At a minimum, make a maggot sandwich and shield your eyes with your hand as you take a bite.)
ROLF
rolling-on-the-floor-laughing-animated-gif-13.gif

eating with sunglasses like a boss
giphy.gif

I got a hand it to you all jokes aside the people who have ate this i think I would have to say electronic high 5 to you :okay: that's some guts and bravery you have there. This cheese sure is very adventurous and adrenaline raising I'll give you that. It reminds me of that sushi made from the puffer fish that people eat in japan that is very dangerous to eat cause one ,mistake from the chef and your a goner. Although this cheese is not as dangerous as that sushi it sure does have a bit of danger. I still would love to hear the opinion of someone who has ate this cheese. A lot of us are grossed out and horrified by it but some people consider it a delicacy and important to the Italian culture. I want to hear why they eat and is really that good to go through all that fear factor?

Back
Top Bottom