Recipe Making Personal care items with food

smellycat

Local time
5:27 AM
I grow a lot of herbs and produce during the growing season in the North. And I like to preserve a lot of what I grow as well. I can, freeze and dry a lot of what I grow and I also have a "cellar" in which I can store food too.

That being said I also make all kinds of food and personal care items. I thought I would post this as a fairly easy recipe. This is for about one stick or bar or deodorant.

Ingredients
1/4 c of pure coconut oil melted (do not use fractionated oil as it will never harden)
Easiest to use essential oil of your liking.
2 tsp to 1 TB of baking soda
Bentonite(clay) (available on amazon for a great price).

Method
Melt coconut oil pour into a bowl
Let sit for a few minutes
Add the baking soda, essential oil, and bentonite well and let harden. you have deodorant

I happen to have a deodorant stick (container) and used that. Here is what I did. The commercial deodorant container had a mechanism to roll up and down deodorant as needed. It also has or had holes in the internal base. I traced on parchment paper the circumference of the deodorant "mouth" inserted the cut our parchment paper inside the container and then poured the coconut oil mix in and let it harden in the fridge.

I have also done this: I love basil and rosemary herbs so I grow them. I let sit outside during a hot week in summer a glass jar with coconut oil in it, in the sun, stuffed with basil and rosemary and sometimes lavender too and let it sit for about a week in the hot weather the oil will be liquid and absorb the herb oils and produce flavour and scent.

Bring the scented oil in the house. Before it hardens remove the herbs. Using a strainer or by hand, pour into container and let harden.

You can put in the fridge to have this process go quicker. Its not like commercial deodorant at all. of course very moisturizing and can cause sensitivity bumps because of the bentonite is detoxing. Its also consumable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom