Making Vegetables Palatable

impish

Local time
4:30 PM
When I was growing up, I ate 'em to please my Mother; my Dad & I were meat & potatoes guys at heart. I was the only kid I knew who LIKED spinach! She made it tasty and appealing, like a garlicky soupy gravy.

Now in my older years, I realize I likely ate way too few veggies during the past decades, so I contrived to make them more like-able.

My one meal yesterday, finished by 10:00PM, was mostly veggies, though 2 Alfresco Chicken Sausages were cut up in it, for the protein. They have no preservatives, colorings, or flavorings. 1/4 can of Cream of Mushroom Soup for sauce, blended in. Still boiling it looked like this:

soup_210.jpg

1 Zuch, 1 C. cut up red and yellow peppers, 1/2 Sweet Onion, 2 sprigs of Cauliflower, 1/2 C. Black Beans my wife pressure-cooked that afternoon, tossed into my trusty ceramic fry pan, sprinkled with No-Salt, pepper, powdered garlic; these were "caramelized' as my wife calls it, fried up in 2 Tblsp. Canola oil, until the Zuch felt a bit soft, then added the cut-up sausage, enough water to allow boiling awhile longer, then the chopped up sausage stirred in, when the veggies feel soft to my wooden "probe", I toss in the Mushroom Soup, stir pretty constantly until consistency seems good, not watery, just a bit of nice sauciness left. The beans impart a nice brown gravy-like texture, as well as taste.

A huge amount of food, the overall calorie count being far less than would be guessed by the volume.

I actually weigh the same as I did in my 20s, a fact I'm happy with, though the weight today is no longer mainly muscle.......

There are very few veges I don't like and making them "palatable" isn't hard. Roasting, grilling and steaming are my go to methods of cooking them. Then there are combos that are a must in some cuisines, "Trinity" in Cajun and Creole, Sofrito in many Latin cuisines, etc.

I actually weigh the same as I did in my 20s, a fact I'm happy with, though the weight today is no longer mainly muscle.......

Well done for that!

I love vegetables and there are certainly tons of ways to make them super tasty as @CraigC says. Caramelisation is certainly one key method.

Not overcooking a lot of them also makes them more palatable, like brussel sprouts in particular, among others.

My grandkids absolute favourite veg is cauli and broccoli bake. The cheese sauce is very creamy and the grandys love sweet. They never leave any on the plate, quite often going back for seconds.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom