Making your own coconut milk

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
1:04 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Had anyone else tried this?

I made my own for the first time earlier in the week and it is amazingly simple and somehow I didn't feel it was anywhere near as fatty add the stuff from a tin but still had loads of flavour and worked really well in the curry I made.

It was really easy to make as well.
  1. Take 1 coconut, crack it open (hold in hand and rotate so that equator of coconut is uppermost and you can rotate the coconut easily along the equator, now tap the equator with the back of a heavy knife repeatedly whilst rotating along equator - in theory it should only take 2 rotations, it took me about 4).
  2. If you want the coconut water them do this over a bowl and sieve the final product.
  3. Remove the flesh from the coconut shell by repeatedly scoring and prising flesh off the shell.
  4. Now the instructions i was reading said to grate the flesh after removing the skin, but I just chopped it finely with the skin on. I was then meant to boil the water (1 cup grated flesh to 1 cup water) add the coconut flesh and allow it to cool (I think) but I didn't. I simply added the coconut to 500ml of water and worked out the volume. Then added more water so I had the same volume.
  5. Then I simply added the whole lot to my high performance liquidizer and blended until really smooth. I had to add about another 250ml of water to keep the blender going (the mixture was becoming a pate thickness rather than a milk thickness).
  6. Next put the whole lot through a nut milk bag over a collection bowl and hang up to drain.
I got around 1L of coconut milk, half of which i have frozen.

I also dried out the coconut meal (?) in the dehydrator overnight. Now what to do with that?

Back
Top Bottom