man what a mess

grumpyoldman

Local time
7:35 AM
last night the wife made a pecan pie , the problem is she over filled it and it bubbled over leaving a sticky mess in the bottom of the oven , it was late so i told her we would tackle it this morning , it was like scraping concrete, tried soaking it that wasn't going to work
the oven is electric and has a self cleaning feature so as a last resort we turned on the self cleaning cycle and hoped for the best
after a few minutes the house was so full of smoke i was amazed the fire dept didn't show up i set up fans to draw the smoke out of the house and in about an hour the stove stopped smoking but this thing is on a 3 hour cycle so we had to wait to see what happened , by the time the self cleaning cycle was finished w had all the smoke out of the house and opened the oven door and lo and behold all that was left of the mess was a pile of powdery ash...took a damp cloth and wiped it clean !!!

Been there, and yes, that blast from the self-cleaning cycle will damn near melt diamonds.

I always have a sheet of foil on the shelf below whatever I have cooking in the oven. If anything bubbles over, clean-up is just wadding up a piece of foil, and tossing it in the trash.

CD

i did not think that it would totally turn that mess into a fine powdery ash , i really thought it was just beyond what the self cleaning feature was designed to do but what can i say ....it totally worked

I use that mode to clean my pizza stone, and it’ll also strip the seasoning from a cast iron pan, if needed.

the only bad thing was the amount of smoke , it filled the house with a fairly heavy smoke , so much so that i set up fans to blow it out the doors.
i wonder just how hot the oven gets during the cleaning cycle ?
my guess would be somewhere around 700-800 degrees

the only bad thing was the amount of smoke , it filled the house with a fairly heavy smoke , so much so that i set up fans to blow it out the doors.
i wonder just how hot the oven gets during the cleaning cycle ?
my guess would be somewhere around 700-800 degrees
More than hot enough to melt lead. 800 to 1000 degrees F.

More than hot enough to melt lead. 800 to 1000 degrees F.

I've only had to use mine once -- after a removing a pizza from the oven failure.** It worked very well. I was surprised.

CD

** pizza slid off the peel, and did a perfect flip to land sauce and cheese side down on the hot oven door. :facepalm:Followed by excessive profanity.

** pizza slid off the peel, and did a perfect flip to land sauce and cheese side down on the hot oven door. :facepalm:Followed by excessive profanity.
I used to use a wooden peel, dust it with a little cornmeal because those grains are like little BB’s and they sort of roll, making it easier, in theory, to cleaning launch a pizza. One little corner sticking, though, and it doesn’t matter, it’s not going.

That’s when I started using parchment paper - shape and dress the pizza on the parchment paper, lift them both onto the peel, onto the stone, and a few minutes later, just reach in and yank the paper out from under the pizza. Not a problem.

However, the first time I did that, I didn’t fully appreciate how slick parchment paper is, and in one smooth motion, I went to launch the pizza off the peel, which by this time I was using a metal peel, and that pizza took off like it was nitro fueled, flying off the peel, across the oven, and SPLAT!!! right up against the back wall, which has a fan, with all the little openings and all that.

I used to use a wooden peel, dust it with a little cornmeal because those grains are like little BB’s and they sort of roll, making it easier, in theory, to cleaning launch a pizza. One little corner sticking, though, and it doesn’t matter, it’s not going.

That’s when I started using parchment paper - shape and dress the pizza on the parchment paper, lift them both onto the peel, onto the stone, and a few minutes later, just reach in and yank the paper out from under the pizza. Not a problem.

However, the first time I did that, I didn’t fully appreciate how slick parchment paper is, and in one smooth motion, I went to launch the pizza off the peel, which by this time I was using a metal peel, and that pizza took off like it was nitro fueled, flying off the peel, across the oven, and SPLAT!!! right up against the back wall, which has a fan, with all the little openings and all that.

I was actually removing my pizza when it decided it really wanted to commit suicide on a hot oven door, instead of being eaten to death.

BTW, I have a saying that I use multiple times a day, "Everything wants to be on the floor."

CD

Back
Top Bottom