The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
4:09 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
PdFCOuwJREKOQGh4COLg_IMG_0287.jpg

Just about any fruits can be put into a chutney. Mango is fairly standard, but I really had a revelation when I decided to try pomegranate. The bitterness of the seeds plays well with the other elements of the chutney, and makes good foil to the sweetness of the mango. The color of this chutney is darker than you might expect due to the balsamic vinegar I used. Substitute apple vinegar for more of a classic look if you prefer.

This recipe also contains simple instructions for removing pomegranate seeds without making a mess in steps 1-4. The actual making of the chutney all happens in step 5.

Ingredients

1 large mango, diced
1 large pomegranate, seeded
1⁄2 cup golden raisin
3⁄4 ounce ginger, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
1⁄3 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper

Directions
  1. Using the blade of a sharp knife, cut about 1/4 inch deep into the skin of the pomegranate, careful not to cut through the seeds. Cut all the way around the perimeter of the pomegranate.
  2. Twist the halves of the pomegranate apart. If they don't separate, cut around the perimeter again until they do.
  3. Hold one half of the pomegranate over your cook pan with the seeds facing down, and firmly tap the back of pomegranate with a meat mallet or something similar. The seeds will start to fall into the pan. Rotate the pomegranate to get as many of the seeds as possible out as you do this.
  4. Remove the white membrane from inside the pomegranate half to loosen the remaining seeds. Also remove any membrane fragments that fall into the pan. Repeat with the other half of the pomegranate.
  5. Place all remaining ingredients in the pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until thick, about 30 minutes, stirring frequently to keep from sticking.
  6. Store, refrigerated, in an airtight container.

Lovely Chutney surely .. I adore Pomegrantes .. They are actually called: Granadas in Southern Granada, Spain in Andalusia because of the enormous amount of Pomegrante trees.

I use them in salads ..

What do you serve with your Chutney ? Roast Lamb ?

Have a nice wkend ..

Lovely Chutney surely .. I adore Pomegrantes .. They are actually called: Granadas in Southern Granada, Spain in Andalusia because of the enormous amount of Pomegrante trees.

I use them in salads ..

What do you serve with your Chutney ? Roast Lamb ?

Have a nice wkend ..
I think serving it with lamb would be excellent, but I've almost always only eaten it with either naan bread or papadum bread (a crispy Indian cracker-type bread as shown below).

305710_290711660948623_1393350586_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom