Marcel Proust: When i went to Venice, my dream became my address.

Francesca

Local time
11:32 AM
Authored By: Francesca Guillamet ..
Photo Below: Our Appetiser ..

Marcel Proust stated: " When I went to Venice, my dream became my address" ..

My husband and I are in Venice staying in San Marcos, in a lovely renovated jewel of a hotel, on the Grand Canal. Though I do not want to live in Venice, we are celebrating my belated birthday here once again. ( I am a Sagittarius - December ) ..

The Veneto región encompasses much of the fertile Po Plain, we shall be visiting Padua, Verona and Treviso as well and the Adriatic, which still glories.

Harry´s Bar first opened its doors in 1930, and is an authentic landmark of Venezia .. Of course we sipped the house Cocktail, The Bellini .. Prosecco Sparkling White Wine with Peach Icecream Néctar .. Simply splendidly amazing ..

Divine shellfish and fish were sampled in a tiny crowded trattoria in a hidden court yard where we had eaten on all our trips to Venice ..

Today ( Wednesday) we went to visit a Chef friend who has a lovely lovely restaurant of great gastronomic reputation across from the Teatro La Fenice, and slightly hidden on a narrow medieval passage way or alley with lots of restaurants, tiny bars and cafés.

The Price of the hotel includes an amazing buffet breakfast ..

Sincé 1720, Caffe Florian, has been renowned for its Cafés and is situated on St. Mark´s Square .. After breakfast we have been heading over to Caffe Florian for doublé Espressos and later on in the day for Capucchinos.

The aromas of Caffe Florian are totally unforgettable ..

Have a wonderful holiday week and Happy New Year to all once again ..

Last edited:
Gamberi Rossi ( Red Prawns ) .. Grilled with Italian Evoo & Flambéed in Italian Brandy ..
Dazzling dynamic and freshly netted off the sea rocks ..

AAFRANCESCAGAMERIROSSI20180102_142935.jpg

Authored By: Francesca Guillamet ..
Photo Below: Our Appetiser ..

Marcel Proust stated: " When I went to Venice, my dream became my address" ..

My husband and I are in Venice staying in San Marcos, in a lovely renovated jewel of a hotel, on the Grand Canal. Though I do not want to live in Venice, we are celebrating my belated birthday here once again. ( I am a Sagittarius - December ) ..

The Veneto región encompasses much of the fertile Po Plain, we shall be visiting Padua, Verona and Treviso as well and the Adriatic, which still glories.

Harry´s Bar first opened its doors in 1930, and is an authentic landmark of Venezia .. Of course we sipped the house Cocktail, The Bellini .. Prosecco Sparkling White Wine with Peach Icecream Néctar .. Simply splendidly amazing ..

Divine shellfish and fish were sampled in a tiny crowded trattoria in a hidden court yard where we had eaten on all our trips to Venice ..

Today ( Wednesday) we went to visit a Chef friend who has a lovely lovely restaurant of great gastronomic reputation across from the Teatro La Fenice, and slightly hidden on a narrow medieval passage way or alley with lots of restaurants, tiny bars and cafés.

The Price of the hotel includes an amazing buffet breakfast ..

Sincé 1720, Caffe Florian, has been renowned for its Cafés and is situated on St. Mark´s Square .. After breakfast we have been heading over to Caffe Florian for doublé Espressos and later on in the day for Capucchinos.

The aromas of Caffe Florian are totally unforgettable ..

Have a wonderful holiday week and Happy New Year to all once again ..

what a marvelous description @Francesca . Florian cafè is historic and is the oldest cafè in the world. Stupendous, noble, fascinating as all of Venice. I'm glad you're enjoying it and you're enjoying delicious dishes as well.
Was it your birthday in December? Happy belated B-day then! And a good celebration with this holiday ...
Padova: you'll love it, it's the city of the famous architect Palladio.
Verona a gem.
I have never been to Treviso, but it is the undisputed homeland of radicchio! (radicchio di Treviso, Trevigiano) .. have fun!

Last edited:
@MypinchofItaly

The Double Espresso and the Cappucchino at Florian is worth trading countries for ! Ha Ha ..

Thank you for the belated birthday wishes ..

Today we had lunch at the five star Hotel Sina Centurión Palace located near the Rio Della Salut Bridge close to the Basilica Santa Maria Della Salute .. At: Dorsoduro 173 .. The views of the Grand Canal are simply breathtakingly awesomely amazing ..

We have known the Chef, for years and he is the executive Chef there ..

I had:

In Italiano: Ravioli con Burrantan affumicata e cruda di Scampi e Radicchio di Treviso ..

In English: Ravioli with smoked Burrantan and raw scampi ( Norway Bay Lobsters) with Treviso Radicchio ..

The Gothic Hotel and surrounding architecuture are pure magic ..

Now off to Florian Caffé for a café and more exploration ..

Have a lovely evening ..
Ciao ..

@MypinchofItaly

The Double Espresso and the Cappucchino at Florian is worth trading countries for ! Ha Ha ..

Thank you for the belated birthday wishes ..

Today we had lunch at the five star Hotel Sina Centurión Palace located near the Rio Della Salut Bridge close to the Basilica Santa Maria Della Salute .. At: Dorsoduro 173 .. The views of the Grand Canal are simply breathtakingly awesomely amazing ..

We have known the Chef, for years and he is the executive Chef there ..

I had:

In Italiano: Ravioli con Burrantan affumicata e cruda di Scampi e Radicchio di Treviso ..

In English: Ravioli with smoked Burrantan and raw scampi ( Norway Bay Lobsters) with Treviso Radicchio ..

The Gothic Hotel and surrounding architecuture are pure magic ..

Now off to Florian Caffé for a café and more exploration ..

Have a lovely evening ..
Ciao ..

Dorsoduro! We have been there with our hotel!!
Good exploration through calle!
Ciao!

Friday .. Souvenir ( something for the Kitchen ! A metal hot plate, for hot pot or hot pan to rest on ) .. Useful amd memorable ..

I am not a "dust collector of figurines and trivia that collects dust and takes up space" ..

@SatNavSaysStraightOn: I took this photograph with my husband´s Cell because I am overloaded .. and battery dysfunctional ..

AAFRANCESCASOUVENIRVENEZIAIMG-20180105-WA0000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Friday ..

Venice pulses enchantment and a soaring culinary reputation ..

Today was Treviso, the designation of origin or appellation of Radicchio Magenta Red Lettuce ..

Astonishing to encounter several varieties ..

Radichio di Treviso Rosso Precoce = This is a lengthwise lettuce with magenta and White patterned leaves ..

Radicchio di Chioggia = The most common variety. A more or less round variety (commonly exported) with a deeper red violet predominance ..

Radicchio di Treviso Rosso Tardivo = Sort of shaped like a large tulip with Deep red violet and White pattern in the leaves and is only available in December through April.

Off to grab a light bite ..

Friday Evening´s Light Bite ..

1) Zuppa di Cozze e Vongole = A Shellfish Soup Stew of Clams and Mussels ( garlic, Evoo, White wine, fish, day old bread, fish stock, parsley ) .. Hit the spot on a chilly evening .. and was more of a stew than a soup ..

2) Aspargi Bianco = Grilled in Evoo White asparagus with lemon, Evoo, hard boiled eggs, and anchovies served in an oval clay dish .. The 6 thick White asparagus were lined up in center and the parsley, diced egg and anchovies served as a salad with Evoo & Lemon vinaigrette .. Extraordinarily lovely and light ..

3) Of course we shared a bottle of Prosecco ( White ) and light and had some Grissini and home made on the premises assorted breads ..

Goodnight for now ..

Last edited:
Saturday .. 40 Km. From Venice - In Padua / Padova ..

This XII - XIII century small city is known for its amazingly profoundly steeped in history: Basilica de San Antonio XIII, Capilla de Los Scrovegni 1303, Palazzo della Ragione, Bo Palazzo di Galileo, Pratodella Valle Plaza, one of the largest in The Mediterranean at 90, 000 square meters, and is situated on a Canal of the same name ..

The Market at Plaza Erbe is a jewel .. And on Plaza della Frutta, there is, La Folperia, an amazing treasure where one can indulge on shellfish of all types, at the open air Kiosk ..

Due to the Holiday, The Epiphany many restaurants are only open for dinner .. So, we shall head over to La Folperia for a " tapa" and wine and then go to a tiny Boutique Hotel Restaurant called, Hotel Restaurant Casa Pelligrino ( The Pilgrim ) for their renowned pastas and shellfish, fish and vegetables ..

Have a wonderful holiday for those celebrating ..

All our best from Padova ..

Saturday .. 40 Km. From Venice - In Padua / Padova ..

This XII - XIII century small city is known for its amazingly profoundly steeped in history: Basilica de San Antonio XIII, Capilla de Los Scrovegni 1303, Palazzo della Ragione, Bo Palazzo di Galileo, Pratodella Valle Plaza, one of the largest in The Mediterranean at 90, 000 square meters, and is situated on a Canal of the same name ..

The Market at Plaza Erbe is a jewel .. And on Plaza della Frutta, there is, La Folperia, an amazing treasure where one can indulge on shellfish of all types, at the open air Kiosk ..

Due to the Holiday, The Epiphany many restaurants are only open for dinner .. So, we shall head over to La Folperia for a " tapa" and wine and then go to a tiny Boutique Hotel Restaurant called, Hotel Restaurant Casa Pelligrino ( The Pilgrim ) for their renowned pastas and shellfish, fish and vegetables ..

Have a wonderful holiday for those celebrating ..

All our best from Padova ..

Glad you like Padova! I like it...how is the weather there? Here in Lombardia is rainy and very cold..

@MypinchofItaly

Weather Saturday in Padua ( Padova): When we arrived approx. 6 Degrees Centig and greyish cloudy .. The temperature had risen to 11 Degrees Centig and when we left it started to drizzle ( very light rain ) .. It was not windy or too too cold .. Manageable .. We were dressed warmly and properly ..

We try not to complain about the weather as there is nothing we can do about it ..

We could of gone to the Canary Islands !! However, we had been and preferred to go to Venice knowing the weather factor ! It does not bother us ! We have been lucky as it has not snowed .. This could be difficult to move about in .. We love being on the sea in the Winter, as it is invigorating !

Have a lucky weekend ..

Sunday - Verona ( Approx. 100 km. from Venice ) ..

Today, our 3 dear friends, my husband and I had a private lunch at a ** Michelin Star Restaurant, which is a relatively new concept and sets the scene by creating an extraordinarily exclusive relationship with the guests, devoid of barriers, an "open plan kitchen" ..

All the ingredients are of a seasonal nature, and the Verona authentic and traditional are absoluely incredibly amazing ..

The 1st course, is a choice of the following 2 seasonal vegetables:
Artichokes ( I chose )
Radicchio ( I chose )
Kohlrabi
Broccoli
Pumpkin

Then the 2nd course: Sea Bass Tartare ..
3rd: An exquisitely sublime filet of sole with lemon and capers ..
4th: Artichokes with Razor Shells & Saint Jacques ( sea scallops ) ..
5th: Cavoli ( Indigenious to Italy, black cabbage) stuffed Ravioli with Squid Ink Caviar ! To die for and go to heaven .. :
6th: The next delicacy was: Calamarata Pasta with Scampi ( calamar black ink pasta ) .. Scampi here are Norway Bay Lobsters, not prawns ..
7th: Partridge breast with Marsala Sweet Sicilian Wine, shallot & grape jelly ..
8th: Porc Cheek glazed with beer and served with a dipping sauce of horse radish ..
9th: Desserts of the house and a doublé Espresso .. And last but not least, a Grappa !
Champagne: A lovely Champagne accompanied our degustation called: Perrier Jouet Blanc de Blancs - Brut ..

We then stopped for a Café near the Castle of Romeo & Giulietta which is where we are at the momento ..

Now for the long drive back to our hotel in Venice ..

Our flight back home is tomorrow at 18.00 ..

Sunday - Verona ( Approx. 100 km. from Venice ) ..

Today, our 3 dear friends, my husband and I had a private lunch at a ** Michelin Star Restaurant, which is a relatively new concept and sets the scene by creating an extraordinarily exclusive relationship with the guests, devoid of barriers, an "open plan kitchen" ..

All the ingredients are of a seasonal nature, and the Verona authentic and traditional are absoluely incredibly amazing ..

The 1st course, is a choice of the following 2 seasonal vegetables:
Artichokes ( I chose )
Radicchio ( I chose )
Kohlrabi
Broccoli
Pumpkin

Then the 2nd course: Sea Bass Tartare ..
3rd: An exquisitely sublime filet of sole with lemon and capers ..
4th: Artichokes with Razor Shells & Saint Jacques ( sea scallops ) ..
5th: Cavoli ( Indigenious to Italy, black cabbage) stuffed Ravioli with Squid Ink Caviar ! To die for and go to heaven .. :
6th: The next delicacy was: Calamarata Pasta with Scampi ( calamar black ink pasta ) .. Scampi here are Norway Bay Lobsters, not prawns ..
7th: Partridge breast with Marsala Sweet Sicilian Wine, shallot & grape jelly ..
8th: Porc Cheek glazed with beer and served with a dipping sauce of horse radish ..
9th: Desserts of the house and a doublé Espresso .. And last but not least, a Grappa !
Champagne: A lovely Champagne accompanied our degustation called: Perrier Jouet Blanc de Blancs - Brut ..

We then stopped for a Café near the Castle of Romeo & Giulietta which is where we are at the momento ..

Now for the long drive back to our hotel in Venice ..

Our flight back home is tomorrow at 18.00 ..

We have been last year to Verona, for our 8th anniversary..very romantic weekend.
Grappa! I love it! Soft or hard?
The rest of the meal sounds very delicious, calamarata top!

Back
Top Bottom