Marmalade recipes.

colly

Guru
Local time
4:06 AM
I just happen to have a load of tangerines and satsumas, probably more than is going to get eaten right away.
Would these be any good to make some marmalade? In place of Seville oranges that is.
Also.............in a slow cooker?
It's a long shot this post because I need to get on with it pdq.:D

This recipe comes from The National Center for Home Food Preservation,

Citrus Marmalade (without added pectin)
(Note: When peeling citrus fruits for marmalades, be sure to include some of the white membrane found just under the skin. This is where most of the pectin is located.)

• ¾ cup grapefruit peel (from grapefruit)
  • ¾ cup orange peel (1 orange)
  • 1/3 cup lemon peel (1 lemon)
  • 1 quart cold water
  • pulp of 1 grapefruit
  • pulp of 4 medium-sized oranges
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • 3 cups sugar
Yield: About 3 or 4 half-pint jars

Please read Using Boiling Water Canners before beginning. If this is your first time canning, it is recommended that you read Principles of Home Canning.

Procedure: Sterilize canning jars and prepare two-piece canning lids according to manufacturer's directions.

To Prepare Fruit — Wash and peel fruit. Cut peel in thin strips into a saucepan. Add cold water and simmer, covered, until tender (about 30 minutes). Drain. Remove seeds and membrane from peeled fruit. Cut fruit into small pieces.

To Make MarmaladeSterilize canning jars. Combine peel and fruit in saucepan, add boiling water and sugar. Boil rapidly over high heat, stirring frequently, until the temperature measures 8°F above the boiling point of water (220°F at sea level), about 20 minutes. Remove from heat; skim. Pour hot marmalade into hot, sterile jars, leaving ¼ inch headspace. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel; adjust two-piece metal canning lids. Process in a Boiling Water Canner preferably.

Thanks for the marmalade recipe! I am planning on making my own and packaging them for Christmas gifts. I think this recipe should he;p me scratch a handful of people off of my shopping list. Where do you guys buy your lids from? I was looking on ebay and amazon, but I think the Container Store near me might be best.

This recipe comes from The National Center for Home Food Preservation,

Citrus Marmalade (without added pectin)
(Note: When peeling citrus fruits for marmalades, be sure to include some of the white membrane found just under the skin. This is where most of the pectin is located.)

• ¾ cup grapefruit peel (from grapefruit)
  • ¾ cup orange peel (1 orange)
  • 1/3 cup lemon peel (1 lemon)
  • 1 quart cold water
  • pulp of 1 grapefruit
  • pulp of 4 medium-sized oranges
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • 3 cups sugar
Yield: About 3 or 4 half-pint jars

Please read Using Boiling Water Canners before beginning. If this is your first time canning, it is recommended that you read Principles of Home Canning.

Procedure: Sterilize canning jars and prepare two-piece canning lids according to manufacturer's directions.

To Prepare Fruit — Wash and peel fruit. Cut peel in thin strips into a saucepan. Add cold water and simmer, covered, until tender (about 30 minutes). Drain. Remove seeds and membrane from peeled fruit. Cut fruit into small pieces.

To Make MarmaladeSterilize canning jars. Combine peel and fruit in saucepan, add boiling water and sugar. Boil rapidly over high heat, stirring frequently, until the temperature measures 8°F above the boiling point of water (220°F at sea level), about 20 minutes. Remove from heat; skim. Pour hot marmalade into hot, sterile jars, leaving ¼ inch headspace. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel; adjust two-piece metal canning lids. Process in a Boiling Water Canner preferably.

Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

I've already made a start with another recipe and depending on how it goes down (literally) with the family, I'll perhaps try this one next time.

I mostly use nice glass jars that come from other products that I usually buy for cooking and reserve for canning homemade products.

Wash those jars thoroughly with soapy waster, rinse well and put them into a recipient with water on the stove until boiling if you don't have a machine to sterilize the jars. This is what I do.

An update.
Well I made the marmalade, and very tasty it is too.
It took ages though. I used the slow cooked over night to cook it and in the morning I strained the peel and tried to get it to reduce and set. Well about a million quids worth of gas later I was getting nowhere so I took it off the gas and went to bed. Two days later I went searching for rescue plans.
I solved the problem by squeezing the juice of half a grapefruit into the mix and after scraping of the fleshy bits on the inside I stuck the half grapefruit shell in complete with pith. After cooking vigorously for about a half hour it had reduced and thickened. (no testing with a cool plate I just thought it seemed about right)
Altogether I got six jars out of of the mix. We are half way through one and the other five have either been given, or promised to family and friends.

Another batch is planned.

Back
Top Bottom