Marmalade?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:10 PM
Do any of you make your own marmalade? I have done but not for a few years. At the moment (and it is a brief moment) Seville oranges are in season in the UK. They are the perfect bitter oranges for your marmalade. I have a few pots left from the last time I made it! Photo will follow...

I would like to make my own marmalade. At the moment it's on the list of things to do...... One day!

I have to be in the mood. Its a bit of a palava! And at the end of the day - there are great marmalades to be bought at not too much expense. I'm not entirely sure its worth the effort.

I quite enjoy doing it and the smell in the kitchen is lovely. This year I have tried adding flavours. One batch has whisky which I think could be good.

I have to be in the mood. Its a bit of a palava! And at the end of the day - there are great marmalades to be bought at not too much expense. I'm not entirely sure its worth the effort.
Isn't this the way with many things ? For example my wife has recently started making some wonderful breads BUT before we both retired and back when we used to need sandwiches on a daily basis there were some very nice breads available from the local supermarket [the days of white / brown sliced or nothing are long gone]. I often think when we weight the cost + time + plus mess/washing up a lot of things just aren't worth the trouble.

Isn't this the way with many things ? For example my wife has recently started making some wonderful breads BUT before we both retired and back when we used to need sandwiches on a daily basis there were some very nice breads available from the local supermarket [the days of white / brown sliced or nothing are long gone]. I often think when we weight the cost + time + plus mess/washing up a lot of things just aren't worth the trouble.
Well I'm recently retired and it is very nice to have more time to cook. But I agree that there are lots of things which it isn't worth doing yourself. Croissants for example!

I've just made my first ever batch of marmalade from Seville oranges. It's quite dark (like the Tiptree one) and tastes far nicer than the usual bought stuff. One bag of oranges plus two lemons made about 5 lbs so enough to last me until next season.

Well I'm recently retired and it is very nice to have more time to cook. But I agree that there are lots of things which it isn't worth doing yourself. Croissants for example!

Funnily enough, I was just toying with the idea of making my own croissants from this recipe https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/bakers-croissants-recipe

I make all my own bread, pizzas, yoghurt, paneer, and burgers mainly because of allergies and intolerances, and shop bought croissants always taste very salty to me.

Funnily enough, I was just toying with the idea of making my own croissants from this recipe https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/bakers-croissants-recipe

I make all my own bread, pizzas, yoghurt, paneer, and burgers mainly because of allergies and intolerances, and shop bought croissants always taste very salty to me.

I think we should all cook along together as I'm also a bit rusty with croissants. My husband loves them so I get Brownie points if I can bake them.

Back
Top Bottom