Marmitegate

I have a question about Marmite..a Facebook page talked today about Marmite and I'm very curious about it. It's very famous in UK and also in Australia as Vegemite. People on FB said that you love it or hate it (adv spot). What is exatly? Yeast extract? Do you eat for breakfast or as snack?What about the taste? I don't know if in Italy is available, maybe in some international store. That's intrigued me! What do you think?

Last edited:
Birds Eye sneakily shrinks fish finger packs offering shoppers LESS - but the price remains the same
In a discreet marketing shake up, the firm has quietly shrunk packs of cod fish fingers while keeping prices at £2.50

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/birds-eye-shrinks-fish-finger-9746475

This has been happening stateside for years. The "half-gallon" of ice cream that has now reduced to a quart and a half: a 25% decrease in size, same price. Same with the "1 pound" bag of chips (crisps? the thin, usually fried potato slices...) that is now 12- or 13-ounces: again, up to 25% smaller. Even toilet paper rolls! What was a double-roll size has now been reduced to the point where a "double roll" is now the same number of sheets as a standard single roll just a few years back. They've even shortened the width of the roll. Easy to tell, because a roll that nearly went end-to-end on the holder now has at least a finger's width between the end of the roll and the holder.

I have a question about Marmite..a Facebook page talked today about Marmite and I'm very curious about it. It's very famous in UK and also in Australia ad Vegemite. People on FB said that you love it or hate it (adv spot). What is exatly? Yeast extract? Do you eat for breakfast or as snack?What about the taste? I don't know if in Italy is available, maybe in some international store. That's intrigued me! What do you think?
It is a very British thing, originally being made from yeast extract left over from the beer brewing process. It was made in Burton on Trent, home of Bass Breweries (now part of Molson Coors). Driving past the factory was never a pleasant experience due to the smell. I don't know how it got its name, as it is nothing whatsoever to do with the French cooking pot pictured on the label. I'm sure it is available elsewhere in the world as it is now owned by Unilever.
It is a bit of a love/hate thing, having quite a strong salty, unami flavour to it. Usually it is eaten on toast for breakfast, or in sandwiches, but I have just discovered the delight of adding it to a burger mix to enhance the unami effect.
Vegemite, although also made from yeast extract, is weaker in flavour (despite having more additives) and generally considered an inferior product by Marmite lovers!

It is a very British thing, originally being made from yeast extract left over from the beer brewing process. It was made in Burton on Trent, home of Bass Breweries (now part of Molson Coors). Driving past the factory was never a pleasant experience due to the smell. I don't know how it got its name, as it is nothing whatsoever to do with the French cooking pot pictured on the label. I'm sure it is available elsewhere in the world as it is now owned by Unilever.
It is a bit of a love/hate thing, having quite a strong salty, unami flavour to it. Usually it is eaten on toast for breakfast, or in sandwiches, but I have just discovered the delight of adding it to a burger mix to enhance the unami effect.
Vegemite, although also made from yeast extract, is weaker in flavour (despite having more additives) and generally considered an inferior product by Marmite lovers!

I've never tried Vegemite, and I can't stand Marmite.

As for @classic33 's lists, I've never even heard of half the items in the first list. As for the picture one, about the only things I buy out of that list (and then only occasionally) are Stork margarine, Bounty bars and Crunchies, plus of course the very occasional packet of Mcvities dark chocolate digestives for a treat. I always buy Tesco or Sainsbury's own label fair trade decaf tea and decaf coffee, and maybe an occasional pack of Lavazza coffee. Most of my other food shopping comes from independent companies (like East End, Wright's etc) or Riverford, or one or two organic farms locally.

Very interesting. I've never heard this before. I'd like to taste it! Should I eventually try it in other dishes? Gravy for example? Or broth?

Very interesting. I've never heard this before. I'd like to taste it! Should I eventually try it in other dishes? Gravy for example? Or broth?
Yes, definitely try it in any beef based sauces. Given its success in a burger mix, maybe try it in meatballs as well?

Back
Top Bottom