Marvelous Llightly-Smoked, Grilled Chicken

Chief Longwind

Über Member
Local time
12:57 AM
Saut Sainte Marie, Siberia, I mean Michigan
I notice that there are a fair amount of our freinds from accross the big pond on this site. So to be fair, I'm giving to you my version of America meets Great Britton, the Spatchcoked, smoked chicken.

First, for those of you who don't know what spatchcoking a chicken is, here is a site that explains it -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72dQonQa9jE

Ok, so now that you've seen how to prepare the bird, follow along for a great tasting, grilled bird.

I have to say that I am a fan of the Webber, Kettle Charcoal Grill. It's easy to use, fast to light, and with a little added fruit wood to the fire, makes amazing food.

Fastest charcoal lighting technique:
Wad up four to six sheets of news print. Remove the grates from the kettle. Open all vents and clean out the kettle. Place the wadded newsprint sheets on the bottom. Drizzle a generous amoount of used cooking oil onto the paper, leaving edges dry so as to light the paper easily. Place the small grate that holds the charcoal on top of the paper. Spread your favorite charcoal, lump, or briquettes onto the grate to make a solid bed, about two layers deep.Light the paper on multiple sides and just walk away.

While the fire is igniting, combine the following in a bowl, and stir it all together:
2 tsp. dried sage powder
2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. coarsely ground pepper
1 tbs. granulated garlic
1 tbs. granulated onion
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. ground red pepper
1/4 tsp. ground ginger

Spatchcock the chicken. Dry with paper towels. Rub with salted butter. Rub the herbs and spice mixture all over the chicken, top, botton, wing pits (like armpits only on a chicken) and everywhere else. You ladies might want to dust a little of this mixture behind your ears to draw elligible males. Ahahahahahah.

The fire should now be hot. Place three half-inch stickes of apple wood, or whatever you like to use a a smoking wood onto the hot coals. Put the top grate on. Place the chicken in the middle. Put the lid on, close all vents, top and bottom to the half oen position, and let it cook for 45 minutes. REmove, teest for proper temperature - 160' F. in the thickest part of the meat, and serve with your favorite sides.

I promise you, you will not be dissappointed. Enjoy.

Seeeeeeya; Chif Longwind
"There is no success that justifies failure within the home."

May your hot foods be hot, your cold foods be cold, and your cheddar serve aged, and at room temperature.

To those across the pond, this is American grilling (on top of the fire) instead of UK grilling (under the fire).

Back
Top Bottom